1933 Plymouth P/U on ebay

countrytravler

Well, it certainly looks to me like a 1933 Plymouth pickup from the front and dash. Do you have some shots of the back of the cab? I would love top see how the rear section around the window is made. My guess is that only the build card will tell what it started out as. I have seen scads of early '30's cars that have had the back of a sedan moved up to the back of the front doors...Sure does look legit.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

I doubt that the build card will show much. The title is using the body number (a bit unusual as it is most often the engine or serial numbers). And I happen to recognize the TDS suffix on that body number which means it was from a two door sedan. The prefix on it (PD) matches the instrument cluster installed in it. Of more interest would be the serial number which should be on the passenger side door hinge post. But since it is evidently a two door sedan converted into a truck there might be some hackery in that area and it might be missing.

Here is the ad from eBay for the 33 Ply p/up.

Up for sale is a 1933 Plymouth pickup cab. The cab is in great shape with no rust out or large dents. It comes with a 1933 PD Plymouth Pickup title and it’s clear. Cab is 99% complete. Doors close and open, window regulators roll up and down. All the garnish moldings are there. Windshield frame is rust free and not pitted. I do have the complete seat that goes with the cab, top and bottom springs in great shape. I was planning on finishing this and having one of only a hand full 1933 Plymouth pickups. I read on line there were only around 125 made, but not sure if that’s the real #.

Guest DodgeKCL

There is no such thing as a legitimate 1933 Plymouth pickup. Several exist but they are all two door or four door sedans shortened. With boxes from other pickups such as 1933 Dodge Expresses. Plymouth's first pickup was the 1937 PT50. All iterations prior to that are bogus. I have actually seen one up close and personal and apparently the rear tub of both the 2 door and 4 door sedans fit like a glove if moved forward to the B post. Most likely something left over from the 2/4 door design and Chrysler wanting the stamping to be the same size front to back for cost reasons.

Edited by DodgeKCL (see edit history)

If you look at the pictures, that is a p/u cab. Back of the cab is not of car design. If anything, they took a dash from a car and installed it. Funny that on the question part on eBay, nobody ask any questions about this truck. Waiting for a phone call from the owner of this truck. Hope I have the correct questions to ask.

I could be wrong on some of my comments, still in the learning mode.

If you look at the pictures, that is a p/u cab. Back of the cab is not of car design. If anything, they took a dash from a car and installed it. Funny that on the question part on eBay, nobody ask any questions about this truck. Waiting for a phone call from the owner of this truck. Hope I have the correct questions to ask.

I could be wrong on some of my comments, still in the learning mode.

It looked to me like the rear stamping had different raised beading that the side by the door. Clearly not a factory detail. Probably, as DodgeKCL suggests they shortened a two door sedan.

It looked to me like the rear stamping had different raised beading that the side by the door. Clearly not a factory detail. Probably, as DodgeKCL suggests they shortened a two door sedan.

A few good photos of the inside of the cab at the rear of the roof and the inside rear corners should reveal if it was a cut and paste job.

The person that owns the truck called. The truck as he knows it came out of Idaho from 1970 as a complete truck. He bought it as complete truck minus engine. He kept everything except the frame and cab. He said the box and rear fenders same as Dodge. The front fenders had no spheres in front and the grill, wire wheels and hub caps of a 33 Ply. He said that he would send pictures of when he bought it. Why would somebody do a conversion in the old days?

The person that owns the truck called. The truck as he knows it came out of Idaho from 1970 as a complete truck. He bought it as complete truck minus engine. He kept everything except the frame and cab. He said the box and rear fenders same as Dodge. The front fenders had no spheres in front and the grill, wire wheels and hub caps of a 33 Ply. He said that he would send pictures of when he bought it. Why would somebody do a conversion in the old days?

A person would have turned a car into a truck to get more ration allotment for fuel. During the WWII years, gas rationing was a must and commercial vehicles were allotted more fuel. There were thousands of those conversions. The conversions where a coupe had a box inserted into the trunk qualified it as a commercial vehicle, also. The vehicle in question looks to have been a very good/clean conversion for the day.

Guest DodgeKCL

This discussion has been going on for years but I assure you there is no such thing as a legit Chrysler built 1933 Plymouth pickup. The 125 units number mentioned is the "cowl and chassis" number produced for outside body makers. Most were used for station wagons. But any 33/34 Plymouth pickups I've seen,the owners readily told me it used to a 2 door sedan. (Which in themselves,ironically, are quite rare. Most people bought a Ford for a 2 door and bought a Plymouth for it's 4 door. Thats' why there are so many Ford 2 doors around and Plymouth 4 door sedans still around. That's what I've been told by the old guys.)

Its a dodge cab with a plymouth dash. Chrysler didnt make plymouth trucks until 1937

HOLD on ! Does anyone know If this thing came from Mass.? Cause I did one when I was young and stuipd. It was a Dodge

and I sergically cut & put a PD instrument panel as well as PD sheet metal front clip. I would say this was around 1963, a time when

a good share of these were in junk yards for cheap. When you could buy a nice PD for like 25 bucks. My worse case at this

junk yard a real mint black 4dr with trunk, vac fan, apple pin stipe 36 Ford -50 bucks and my old man says 50 bucks too much.

I look back I should ah stole that thing, or got a paper route. Even worse yet a one owner 4dr PD with seat covers since day one

$125 dollar Paper work from dealer which I still have mint owner manual and all. Id kill to get that one back.

sam

Just thought of another two black era Model T's one touring one rodester $200 ?? my old man offered 50 bucks

there ya go

Edited by GK1918
spelling (see edit history)

• 9 months later...
Well, it certainly looks to me like a 1933 Plymouth pickup from the front and dash. Do you have some shots of the back of the cab? I would love top see how the rear section around the window is made. My guess is that only the build card will tell what it started out as. I have seen scads of early '30's cars that have had the back of a sedan moved up to the back of the front doors...Sure does look legit.

You said that from the front that it looked like a Plymouth. What part? Dash yes, this is clearly a 3/4 ton or bigger Dodge truck cab. Someone put the dash in. This cab was not converted from a car.

OK, having looked at all of the above, here are a couple of comments about why I would conclude this is a Dodge pickup cab that has been 'converted' to a Plymouth. First, the body tag is PD two door sedan. However, a two-door sedan would have had bucket seats in it. The problem is not with the bench seat there now but with the floor cross-member just ahead of the seat. Every 33-34 two door I have ever seen has brackets on that cross-member for the front pivot for the two door sedan bucket seats, so they can swing forward for access to the rear seat. If somebody was trying to get a better ration sticker with a truck there is no reason they would go to that detail. Second, the rear top corner of the doors is a dead giveaway to me that this was originally a truck cab and not a conversion from any type of car. The trucks have what this have: A rounded upper rear corner on the door, with the rain gutter following it around. All of the cars, as well as the KCL panels, have a squared off corner on the top rear corner. Again, no way someone would have gone to that amount of trouble to convert one of these. I will bet that upon close examination you will be able to tell that somebody swapped out the dash in this one. Interesting debate guys.

The problem with grafting a sedan body - you have to deal with the bottom rear curve (gas tank apron area) then there will be a little wheel housing curve where rear fender

bolts on. Thats a lot of work. I bet 5 bucks if the dash garnish moulding is taken off , it has been slit along the holes (keeping the captured nuts) the rest is easy to put a

PD dash in a Dodge. and why because I have done it, all the PD front clip goes right on. My attempt making a PD 7 Pass. was done using a 2 dr sectioned to a 4dr at the

center post. The two door has longer front doors so It gave an extra 4 inches or so compaired to the 4 door. Dont forget I was a kid and these things were a dime a dozen.

I should have taken pics of that one. I have been on search for a PD (beyond) my quest is only the cowel a little bit of the top to produce my station wagon. My kid has

cabinet skills thats no problem. If you study this pic its not hard by the way on the right that 34 Dodge is mine too this pic was around 1962 ish

Oh that number plate Mass reg 352 is now on my 1923 Ford

sam

post-75497-143142812478_thumb.jpg

Edited by GK1918 (see edit history)

What was I thinking?? I know the Plymouth pickup started out in 1937. I must not have had my coffee yet that day....

Please do not confuse this thread with 1934 PE ?? they are totally different threads.

Thanks

I would say that it is related. It is talking about Plymouth trucks that do not exist. Correct? If you don't think so, let me know, I'll delete it. We are just trying to nail the correct answer's that you started with the truck you bought and the one on ebay.

I would say that it is related. It is talking about Plymouth trucks that do not exist. Correct? If you don't think so, let me know, I'll delete it. We are just trying to nail the correct answer's that you started with the truck you bought and the one on ebay.

The rolling remains I have purchased from the Texas owners of the title which goes back to 1986 is assembled as the photos show, not just a cab with the wrong body tag attached. It is also the same truck mentioned in the Allpar article these are my reasons for not wanting to confuse the two threads. There was no production Plymouth PU's before October 1936 but there is very little knowledge of pre production development of almost any vehicle.