Need exhaust manifold removal and reattachment help.

ricosan

Well I've found that exhaust manifolds are as scarce as hens teeth.

Fortunately I found a welder who has had extensive experience welding and braising cast iron. He says he can do it with either brass or welding rods. Which do you think would be better?

This weekend my plan is to get the engine up to operating temp and then loose the bolts that hold the intake/exhaust manifold against the head. Is there any particular order that I should undo them? What do I torque them to when I reinstall?

Any other precautions would be appreciated too.

ricosan

post-97329-143142342338_thumb.jpg

Good Morning Nickel,

Yea, nuts are brass. It looks like they are all easy to get to and I've sprayed them with PB Blaster. My biggest fear is reinstalling. I've read that 15 - 20 lbs of torque is appropriate for exhaust manifolds. Unless I hear something different, I plan to heat the manifold with a propane torch and then take the nuts to 10 lbs and then increase from there by 1 lb increments until I get to 15 lbs. I'll then start the engine and see how it sounds.

I'm going to try to photograph the process if I can.

I removed the manifold today. It came off pretty easy. In the heat riser there is a rod which I think is supposed to turn back and forth and do something. Is this rod missing a flange to divert the heat? What does it look like. Is this a necessary part? Do I need to have one made?

I am taking the manifold to the welder in the morning. It looks worse than I thought. Yikes!

ricosan

post-97329-143142345686_thumb.jpg

post-97329-143142345688_thumb.jpg

post-97329-143142345689_thumb.jpg

I removed the manifold today. It came off pretty easy. In the heat riser there is this rod which is supposed to turn back and forth and do something. I this rod missing a flange to divert the heat? What does it look like. Is this a necessary part? Do I need to have one made?

I am taking the manifold to the welder in the morning. It looks worse than I thought. Yikes!

post-97329-143142345691_thumb.jpg

post-97329-143142345692_thumb.jpg

post-97329-143142345693_thumb.jpg