16v thermostat housing

Guest iTurbo

Guest iTurbo

Hi folks, this is a feeler/interest thread regarding the thermostat housing for the 2.2L 16v engine. Some of you 16v owners may know that the radiator hose outlet piece (that attaches to the thermostat housing) was remade in CNC billet a while back. This was great because it addressed the corrosion issues with the stock piece and likely kept a lot of engines running without fear of coolant leaks. It also provided those that didn't have this part for a 16v build a way around the unavailability of the stock part.

I have found somebody that is serious about recreating the main body of the thermostat housing in CNC billet aluminum. This would be a replacement for the stock cast aluminum part that attaches to the 16v cylinder head. For those of you with corroded housings, or a 16v build you are working on that happens to be missing one, NOW is the time to speak up! I myself have two engines here that unfortunately didn't come with thermostat housings. The end product will most likely be a direct replacement to the stock piece, stronger and more corrosion resistant, and possibly provide a better under hood aesthetic look.

There are development threads going on at the other forums (T-M.com and TD.com) regarding this and I will be sending a stock thermostat housing to the developer in order for this to move forward.

Fire away with your thoughts on this. We are still in the initial stages of this becoming available but obviously the more people that want in on this, the better.

Edited by iTurbo (see edit history)

Great, I know I will be buying at least two of these if/when they become available. Like I said earlier though, we are still in the early development stage though.

A couple questions for you guys running 16v...

Are there any other tight clearances aside from the close proximity of the bottom of the thermostat housing to the intake manifold? I've looked at the stock motor I have out in the garage and it doesn't appear so.

What do you guys think about deleting the blind 3/8" port on the side of the housing next to the larger heater hose port?

Are there any features or changes anybody else has in mind? Just so you all know, the bleeder fitting on the top side of the housing will be retained. It almost assuredly be compatible with the stock radiator hose outlet or the billet one made by lengel, and have provision for the heater hose. Me personally, I would just be happy to have a billet aluminum copy of the stock housing, but would be OK with deleting the blind 3/8" port (don't see the use of it anyhow).

The developer has the stock housing that I sent to him and is now exploring what can be improved upon over the stock unit.

hello all, I'm the developer as iTurbo put it for the Masi Tstat Box

i have a 3 axis cnc mill at home with a tool changer and I use solidworks and camworks to design parts and develop toolpaths for the mill.

i can turn around an idea from scratch into a finished working prototype in a few days, as I did with the reverse cooling adapter pictured below

also pictured below are the models i've drawn up so far of the masi tstat box. im going for a design that basically looks stock and duplicates stock function, since that appears to be what you all want!

im very optimistic that with this thermostat box for the Masi, I'll be able to make a prototype in a few days, have a forum member test fit it, tweak the design if needed, band then be on to the races and make a full production batch for y'all

i'd really like to start making more Masi parts since it seems like you all are very enthusiastic about getting cool new machined parts for your cars! if I can get this system going where we can get a group buy together, I could really start focusing on Masi-specific goodies!!

the way I'm organizing this group buy is in a couple stages:

stage 1: 10 verbal commitments.

which simply means you are seriously interested and plan on buying one for unless there is some unusual unforseen event like the design comes out in a way you totally dont expect or something like that. please dont commit unless you really plan on buying one!

stage 2: once ive gotten the 10 verbal commitments, i'll design and machine the first prototype and send it to someone on the forum to verify fitment. this takes me a few days which is why I need the verbal commitments first, otherwise I will end up spending time on ideas nobody is interested in! once the fitment is checked out, i'll tweak the design if needed.

stage 3: ten 50% non-refundable deposits. now that everyone knows that the design fits, and what it looks like, i'd email/PM all the people who made the 10 verbal commitments and ask for a 50% deposit. the deposit would need to be non refundable, so this would be your last chance to back out. once i get all the deposits, i'll buy all the material, and dedicate a couple weeks to finishing all 10. id guarantee delivery within 4 weeks of receiving your deposits!

stage 4: once i ship the adapters out, id ask for the remaining 50% to be paid

tada!

then we move on to the next cool Masi goodie! :cool:

tstatside_zpsb0e6b535.jpg

headside_zpsdd615f47.jpg

photobucket-12015-1387933840691_zpsde24acf2.jpg

Edited by acannell (see edit history)

You know you want one!!

Get in now, because these probably won't be available ever again unless another Group Buy comes up (seriously doubtful).

Price is not bad at all considering the awesome piece of billet aluminum you'll get with some seriously awesome CNC work to boot.

Heres the latest list! I havent heard back from sctc confirming he wants three, so we are still looking for 3 more to make 10..then its on!

1. iTurbo

2. iTurbo

3. Reaper1

4. 4-lbodies

5. Argosy1430Z

6. AZOrion

7. AZOrion

8. sctc (PENDING from AACA)

9. sctc (PENDING from AACA)

10. sctc (PENDING from AACA)

i would be interested in one thx roger

awesome!

okay im taking sctc off the list for now..i think he hasnt logged in in a few weeks and might actually want to join in but i dont have any way to confirm this so..we need two more!

Heres the latest list! I havent heard back from sctc confirming he wants three, so we are still looking for 3 more to make 10..then its on!

1. iTurbo

2. iTurbo

3. Reaper1

4. 4-lbodies

5. Argosy1430Z

6. AZOrion

7. AZOrion

8. rofly1

thats weird I thought I updated this thread..

the requirement for 10 people has been met! and then some!

1. iTurbo

2. iTurbo

3. Reaper1

4. 4-lbodies

5. Argosy1430Z

6. AZOrion

7. AZOrion

8. rofly1

9. sctc

10. sctc

11. sctc

standby list

12. 'Lil_omni

AND

the prototype has been machined!!

wow..that was a TON of work

it took me 5 days, about 12 hours a day, to get the CAM toolpath designed and the first prototype machined.

if I include the time it took to draw up the original model in solidworks, its about 7 days total I think.

thats more than twice as long as it took me to do the reverse cooling mod for the 2.x engine...this should have been both easier and similar in complexity but it wasnt..there were alot of 3 axis toolpaths and I broke some end mills from stupid mistakes. also I had to alter the design and experiment with two completely different 3 axis finishing strategies.

so, some important technical info:

ive deleted the large heater hose connection nipple. instead, it will be a 1" NPT threaded hole. this will allow people to have a choice of what they put there. a 1" stainless NPT fitting is less than $10 and should fit the stock hose.

the bleeder port is a large rectangular boss on the top, which I will tap to fit the stock bleeder valve. I should not that iTurbo's bleeder valve broke off when i tried to unscrew it by hand (sorrry!!), so if these rot away perhaps a different bleeder valve would be a good idea, and I can thread the hole to whatever size would be appropriate (preferably not NPT)

the prototype has two different finishes. the "bottom" with the smooth fillets is the side I will be doing for the production pieces. the fillets are smooth, and the main body surfaces have a 10 thou ridged surface..i think it gives it a nice industrial look! the last picture is the finish that the production units will have.

other than the above its basically the same as the stock one.

so now this prototype needs to have all the threading done (screw holes, 1" NPT) and then get sent to a forum member for fitment testing, since I dont have a masi engine

the tester should:

-have a masi engine with all the surrounding hardware (hood, manifold, whatever else goes in the immediate vicinity of the tstat box, including hoses and all stock hardware to bolt the housing to the head and the housing to the tstat)

-have a fresh oring or at least not a rock hard oring, for the head connection

-a good way to take lots of pictures

-preferably a pair of cheap dial calipers or at least a steel rule to measure distances, since i will be depending on those measurements to alter the design if needed

-time to do this..i.e. you have a spare hour on any day within the next week or so

-ill probably put the prototype up for auction or for sale once fitment testing is done, assuming it fits. so id ask whoever is doing the testing to drop it in the mail if it sells. i can email you a prepaid shipping label and you can tape it to the box it came in, and put it in your mailbox with the flag up. that easy!

If you are on the group buy list please chime in right now with your thoughts!! Once I start machining the production batch I dont want to be tweaking the design so speak now please!!

prototypemasitstatbox_zpsfba93be5.jpg

photobucket-3688-1392085916810_zps07bdb9dc.jpg

photobucket-2732-1392085915357_zpsaf15697c.jpg

photobucket-11234-1392085917467_zps5f2842d5.jpg

photobucket-11900-1392085918099_zps316bb64c.jpg

photobucket-1812-1392085914713_zpsfde7421c.jpg

photobucket-11270-1392085916154_zpsd3b5a48b.jpg

photobucket-2585-1392085918724_zpse2d977cf.jpg

photobucket-9583-1392085949857_zpsc5e608e3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've recieved the prototype part and have done some test fitting. First, I installed it onto a bare cylinder head and it fit great! The odd rhombus shape of the O-ring'd flange where it bolts up to the cylinder head fit very nicely.

However, after attempting to test fit the part onto a complete engine, I found there is a clearance issue between the bottom of the thermostat housing and the intake manifold. Working to correct this now with some slight changes to the design. Getting close!

Some test fitting pictures of the prototype part.

Unfortunately, there is an issue with the proto part hitting the intake manifold. I'm sure that Asa (acannell) and I can overcome this. Afterall, this is what prototype parts are for!!

Pictures of the housing mounted on a complete 16v engine:

post-72138-14314240229_thumb.jpg

Pictures of the housing mounted to a bare 16v cylinder head (fits great!)

post-72138-143142402468_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402255_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402274_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402305_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402321_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402337_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402354_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402371_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402387_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402404_thumb.jpg

post-72138-14314240242_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402436_thumb.jpg

post-72138-143142402452_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Big update!

Since the last update, two more prototype designs were tested, and we now have a design that fits. See pics below. The feeler gauge is 0.025".

The first two pics show the holes as unthreaded, but the production versions has all 4 small holes threaded to 6mm x 1mm just like stock, and the big hole threaded to 1" NPT to allow a large SS hose barb fitting to be installed for use with either the stock hose or whatever you like.

We are now at "Stage 3", which means its time to send your 50% non-refundable deposit! The adapter is $145 shipped to USA so the deposit is $72.50.

Please send it by paypal to acannell@gmail.com, and include your shipping address in the paypal note or PM it to me.

Once I receive your deposit, your adapter will be ready to ship to you within 4 weeks, at which time I would ask for the remaining 50%.

If your shipping address is in Canada, please add an extra $20 for shipping.

And, I am officially re-opening the group buy! If you want to join in, please send your 50% deposit as described above.

The paypal address to send deposits is: acannell@gmail.com

Currently the group buy list is:

1. iTurbo

2. iTurbo

3. Reaper1

4. 4-lbodies

5. Argosy1430Z

6. AZOrion

7. AZOrion

8. rofly1

9. sctc

10. sctc

11. sctc

12. 'Lil_omni

photobucket-6552-1397771420681_zps21b2c9ea.jpg

photobucket-8271-1397771420004_zpsd4f1665a.jpg

2014-04-21204654_zps8d1ca21e.jpg

2014-04-21205748_zps4a8ac8ef.jpg

1. iTurbo (purchased 100%, thank you!!)

2. iTurbo (purchased 100%, thank you!!)

3. Reaper1 (purchased 100% and delivered)

4. 4-lbodies (purchased 100%, thank you!!)

5. Argosy1430Z (message sent)

6. AZOrion (message sent)

7. AZOrion (message sent)

8. rofly1 (message sent)

9. sctc (50% deposit recvd)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

12. 'Lil_omni (message sent)

I just received another deposit from a "William Babcock", thank you! Does anyone know who this is? I need to know his forum handle and also his shipping address.

okay I figured out who William Babcock was. Thank you!!

5. Argosy1430Z (50% deposit rcvd)

6. AZOrion (message sent)

7. AZOrion (message sent)

8. rofly1 (message sent)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

okay I figured out who William Babcock was. Thank you!!

6. AZOrion (50% deposit rcvd)

7. AZOrion (50% deposit rcvd)

8. rofly1 (message sent)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

13. AZOrion (50% deposit rcvd)

Thank you AZOrion!! :D

8. rofly1 (50% deposit rcvd)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

Thank you rofly1!!

1. iTurbo (shipped)

2. iTurbo (shipped)

3. Reaper1 (delivered)

4. 4-lbodies (shipped)

8. rofly1 (50% deposit rcvd)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

this update is a little late..the ones listed as shipped actually shipped a few days ago.

I have 4 more machined and they just need some tapping. I will try to ship them tomorrow.

1. iTurbo (shipped)

2. iTurbo (shipped)

3. Reaper1 (delivered)

4. 4-lbodies (shipped)

6. AZOrion (shipped, waiting for remaining 50%)

7. AZOrion (shipped, waiting for remaining 50%)

8. rofly1 (shipped, waiting for remaining 50%)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

13. AZOrion (shipped, waiting for remaining 50%)

some more have been shipped, please send remaining 50%! thank you!

1. iTurbo (shipped)

2. iTurbo (shipped)

3. Reaper1 (delivered)

4. 4-lbodies (shipped)

6. AZOrion (shipped, paid in full)

7. AZOrion (shipped, paid in full)

8. rofly1 (shipped, waiting for remaining 50%)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

13. AZOrion (shipped, paid in full)

thank you AZOrion!!

1. iTurbo (delivered, paid in full)

2. iTurbo (delivered, paid in full)

3. Reaper1 (delivered, paid in full)

4. 4-lbodies (shipped, paid in full)

8. rofly1 (delivered, paid in full)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

thanks rofly1!!

5. Argosy1430Z (shipping tomorrow, waiting for remaining 50%)

9. sctc (shipped, waiting for remaining 50%)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

12. 'Lil_omni (unable to reach. removing from group buy)

Another two shipped, please send the remaining 50%!

I have been unable to reach Lil_omni for weeks. I dont have enough material left to machine any more without buying enough for at least 4, so I am removing Lil_omni from the group buy, sadly. I may machine more of these in the future but I'm done for the moment. If anyone is interested in one please post here.

5. Argosy1430Z (shipping tomorrow, waiting for remaining 50%)

9. sctc (shipped, paid in full)

10. sctc (message sent)

11. sctc (message sent)

12. 'Lil_omni (unable to reach. removed from group buy)

thank you sctc!

Also, NEWS FLASH:

I am selling prototype #1 and prototype #2 at steep discounts!

Both of them will require modification in order to fit. The tstat housing you end up using with them will also likely require modification.

I have no way to verify or test whether or not modifiying them will work, and I cant accept returns for them for any reason, so please carefully read the R&D thread to see what the fitment pictures showed about them before you decide to purchase either one!

Prototype #1 has a very rough finish with some machining errors on the head flange. It will also likely need more heavy modification to fit than prototype #2, so I am selling it for only $50 shipped!

Prototype #2 has a production quality finish, and will likely require more minor modification than prototype #1, so I'm selling it for $99 shipped!

If you are interested just send the paypal to acannell@gmail.com. Make sure to send your shipping address in the paypal notes!

Again, please do your research in the R&D thread before considering spending your hard earned money on these risky prototypes!

The R&D thread is here:

http://www.turbododge.com/forums/f321/f337/633513-masi-thermostat-box-9.html#post3241362

The first picture is prototype #1, and the second is prototype #2. There are many more pictures including fitment test pictures in the R&D thread.

The pictures show some untapped holes, but all holes will be tapped when you receive either one.

photobucket-9564-1392222260200_zpsaf161a97.jpg

photobucket-8505-1395198189468_zpsea368c1b.jpg

[TABLE=class: postbit_tbl, width: 100%, align: center]

<tbody>[TR]

[TD=class: alt1]1. iTurbo (delivered, paid in full)

5. Argosy1430Z (delivered, waiting for remaining 50%)

10. sctc (shipped, paid in full)

11. sctc (shipped, paid in full)

12. 'Lil_omni (moved to next group buy)

Thank you sctc!!

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: alt1_gradient, align: right]

[/TD]

[/TR]

</tbody>[/TABLE]

5. Argosy1430Z (delivered, paid in full)

10. sctc (shipped, paid in full)

11. sctc (shipped, paid in full)

12. 'Lil_omni (moved to next group buy)

Thank you Argosy1430Z!!

And thank you everyone else too! This group buy is officially a success, oh the memories, we laughed, and we cried.

Anyone who missed out is welcome to join the next group buy, just post here and you shall be added! I found a place to get a big block of 6061 that can make 4 housings so thats the new threshold! Price is still $145

1. Lil'Omni

And dont forget, I'm selling the first two prototypes at big discounts. See previous post!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...

I was digging around in some old boxes and discovered one of the prototype thermostat housings. It has a little too much interference with the intake manifold so some material removal will be needed on the housing or the manifold or both. I don't think there are any other issues but I am not 100% sure because its been so long. 

Because of this, I can offer a 7 day return policy,  as long as the housing is unmodified, and buyer pays shipping both ways (should be less than $10 total for both ways to USA ). 

So you could take the housing and place it on your engine, and see if it looks like it will fit if you file something down here or there. And if you like it, keep it and modify it. If you dont, don't modify it, send it back ,and you'll get your money back minus shipping.

I'm asking $150 shipped, I dont take paypal so PM me your email address and I'll send you an invoice from my square account.

I believe the amount of material that needs to be removed is not that significant, and this could make a great repair piece for someone who needs a housing. I am definitely certain this is the very last one I have.

Comes with oring installed. But you will need to get an NPT fitting of your choice to make a hose fitting on the side. Ebay has good deals on single fittings this large, even in SS

If you have any questions let me know.

20181201-144107.jpg
20181201-144102.jpg

Edited by acannell (see edit history)