Need help with VW specs

Guest Irv D

I just purchased a 1967 Volkswagen, Beetle-Classic, 1500cc engine. VIN No. 117272117. I am trying to determine exact specifications for the car. In searching the internet, I am getting some conflicting information.

The previous owner has identified the exterior color as SAHARA BEIGE. However, that is NOT a color identified on any of the websites I have visited. The interior color of the seats and door panels is red.

A photo of the I.D. Tag on the vehicle clearly shows the above VIN number - and the following numbers: 490, 1180 and 710. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what these numbers mean??

I am trying to determine (from the information on the I.D. tag) the original exterior color name and the interior color name. I did find a DITZLER color number 490 for a 1967 VW, which identified 490 as SIERRA BEIGE. I am thinking that the previous owner just got the color name wrong, but would like verification.

I purchased a 1967 VW in Bermuda in December of 1966. It was a light gray exterior and the exact same red interior as this car. It was a model made for U.S. import and had a 1600cc engine, with "1600" script right on the engine hood, beneath the Volkswagen script. In searching the internet, I can find references to a 1500cc engine (1493cc), as well as 1200 and 1300 - but not a 1600cc.

All replies are appreciated.

Irv D

Guest henry roberts

im assuming you mean this plate.

post-98201-143142340338_thumb.jpg

my german is terrible but I know hinten is rear/bum. i'm pretty sure the numbers are max laden weight (1180kg), max front (490kg) and max rear (710kg) weights. VW didn't mark options or paint colours on their vin plates. the colour was shown by a sticker behind the spare wheel.

if you have any original paint left, this should help sort out your colours for you: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/paintcodestype1.php

i'm assuming, as it has a 1500, your car is a deluxe model, so you want to scroll down to the section "Models 113, 114, 117, 118, 151, 152 August 1966 up to July 1967, from Chassis No. 117 000 001 up to 117 999 000"

model 113 = LHD deluxe hardtop, 117 = LHD deluxe sunroof, 151 = LHD convertible,

under the vin plate is considered one of the best places to find original paint on severely messed with beetles.

if not you can order a birth certificate from VW that should have your colour and trim listed.

Edited by henry roberts (see edit history)

Guest Amskeptic
I just purchased a 1967 Volkswagen, Beetle-Classic, 1500cc engine. VIN No. 117272117. I am trying to determine exact specifications for the car. In searching the internet, I am getting some conflicting information.

The previous owner has identified the exterior color as SAHARA BEIGE. However, that is NOT a color identified on any of the websites I have visited. The interior color of the seats and door panels is red.

A photo of the I.D. Tag on the vehicle clearly shows the above VIN number - and the following numbers: 490, 1180 and 710. I would like to know if anyone can tell me what these numbers mean??

I am trying to determine (from the information on the I.D. tag) the original exterior color name and the interior color name. I did find a DITZLER color number 490 for a 1967 VW, which identified 490 as SIERRA BEIGE. I am thinking that the previous owner just got the color name wrong, but would like verification.

I purchased a 1967 VW in Bermuda in December of 1966. It was a light gray exterior and the exact same red interior as this car. It was a model made for U.S. import and had a 1600cc engine, with "1600" script right on the engine hood, beneath the Volkswagen script. In searching the internet, I can find references to a 1500cc engine (1493cc), as well as 1200 and 1300 - but not a 1600cc.

All replies are appreciated.

Irv D

As per first response, and the Pigalle red interior came with Pearl White and Black exteriors for U.S. cars. There was no 1600 engine in the beetle until the 1970 model year. Be aware that these cars have been handled by many many people over the years, and a 1600 script could have been just the handiest something laying around that day.

Colin

www.itinerant-air-cooled.com

Henry -

Thanks so much for responding to my inquiry. My German is nothing to brag about either, but I did know that hinten is "rear" and, of course - bum is Brittish, Australian, etc.

You are correct, this is the tag I am speaking of. I believe it is rivited to the metal behind the spare tire. The numbers you identified make sense regarding the weight, but I would never have known that without your reply. Also, it is a model 117 with the sunroof.

The car is being picked up in Florida (today or tommorrow) and I expect it to be here around Jan 13 or 14. At that time I may be able to look for the paint color that you mentioned.

I will let you know what I find out. How do you order the "birth certificate" for this VW that you spoke of?

thanks again......Irv DeMatties

Henry -

thanks for the comment on my "German girlfriend" - I needed a little humor in my life this morning !!

Also, thanks for the link on the VW birth certificate. I should be getting delivery on the car about Monday 1/13. Yes, I am quite excited about it. It will rekindle some fond memories of the one we had from 1966-1969 in Bermuda. My wife drove the car mostly - so this is my present to her. We have four other classic cars (1950 DeSoto, 1966 Mustang, 1971 Dodge Dart Swinger, and 1976 Lincoln Continental). The VW will make a wonderful addition to our collection. I will definitely post some pictures - but they will be ones taken before I became the new owner (taken in Florida) - as it is sub-zero weather here, and I don't think the snow and ice would compliment any pictures of the VW.

Cheers..............Irv

Colin -

I somehow overlooked your response to my post, so I am a bit late in replying - but bear with me.

The 1967 VW that I bought (brand new from Masters Volkswagen in Bermuda) was purchased in December of 1966. I believe it had 22 miles on the odometer (if this 75 year old memory serves me correctly), which was considered a lot - since the entire island is only 22 square miles in area. It had the number 1600 as a metal script mounted on the engine hood, just below the Volkswagen script - and the salesperson took great care to point out that this was the first year for a 1600 engine and only in those models that were manufactured for export to the U.S. We had to buy a VW made to U.S. specs because, otherwise, it could not be imported to the U.S. from Bermuda. I

became close friends with the service manager at Masters - and he always marvelled at how nice we kept the car, and how much he admired the 1600cc engine in these cars.

While I described the exterior paint as a "light gray", you are correct that the actual name is Pearl White (always looked gray to me) - and the interior color was Pigalle red.

So, the "mystery" about the 1600cc engine remains, as yet, unsolved (at least in my mind). I would be interested in knowing if anyone, anywhere ever had or heard of a 1600 in the 1967 VW's.

Best Regards.........Irv D

post-72405-143142345162_thumb.jpgHenry and others -

Well, I thought I would post some pictures of the '67 VW, model 117 (deluxe, sunroof), if I can figure out how to do this.

We have not yet received the car - should be here tomorrow or Monday (13 Jan). These pics are, of course, not the stock wheels - which I will most likely put on in the spring. The previous ownder is sending the original hubcaps with the car, so will just have to find new rims and have them painted the original color. I will try to post a few pics when I get the car and have had a chance to clean it up after the road trip north from FL to NY.

post-72405-143142345135_thumb.jpg

post-72405-143142345146_thumb.jpg

post-72405-143142345153_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Guest Amskeptic

There were no 1600 (B) engines installed in any Beetle worldwide until August of 1970.

The 1300 F engine was introduced Aug 1965 for the 1966 model year.

The 1500 H engine was introduced in Aug 1966 for the 1967 12 volt beetle.

The VW bus and the Type 3 (Fastback/Squareback) had the first 1600 engines

(UO- Type 3, B bus)) introduced in August 67 for the 1968 model year.

There were no 1600 (B) engines installed in any Beetle worldwide until August of 1970.

Just a FYI, the standard beetle in 1965 is called a "A" Sedan and it is the last 36hp engined VW. The standard beetle in 1966 is now called a 1200 "A" and uses the 40hp engine for the first time and this engine also has cam bearings. This 1200"A" model with a 1200 40 hp and swing axle is used in this model until Jan 1978 and the very last Beetle produced in Germany at the Emden plant was this model.

The 1300 engine ( first used in 1966) was used in a deluxe beetle in Europe in 1967 also with the old type of fenders and 6V. headlamps.

So for 1967 VW has five basic beetle models starting with the 1200 "A" with a 40 hp & 6 volts, the 1300 deluxe also a 6 Volt car, a 1500 deluxe for Europe with 12 volts and front disc brakes, a U.S. specification Beetle, a 1500, deluxe with drum brakes, and finally a deluxe 1200 40 hp car using the old 1958-1964 body for cars built in Mexico and Brazil.

Guest Irv D

O.K. - - I am becoming more and more convinced that I may have errored in stating that my 1967 VW beetle (purchased new -Jan 67 in Bermuda) had a 1600cc engine, as all of the responses I have received indicate that it most likely was a 1500c instead. At any rate, it was manufactured with all specs for import to the U.S. which was required so the owner (usually military servicemen, like myself) could ship the car to the states upond completion of their tour of duty in Bermuda.

I took relatively few pictures of the car when I had it (1967-1970) - and I am not sure if I took any which might show the 1600 script that I referred to on the engine hood. I will have to see if I can find one of the rear of the car and then get my magnifying glass out to look at the hood script. I usually have a pretty good memory on most of the things associated with the 78 cars I have owned in my lifetime - but, perhaps, this 75 year old brain of mine is starting to get a little foggy - so, for now, I will concede that I must be mistaken about the 1600cc engine, and succumb to more reliable information - that it was actually a 1500cc.

Bah! Humbug! I thought I might have had a really "one-of-a-kind" VW there !!

Best regards to all the VW people out there - especially all you '67 owners

Irv

O.K. - - I am becoming more and more convinced that I may have errored in stating that my 1967 VW beetle (purchased new -Jan 67 in Bermuda) had a 1600cc engine, as all of the responses I have received indicate that it most likely was a 1500c instead. At any rate, it was manufactured with all specs for import to the U.S. which was required so the owner (usually military servicemen, like myself) could ship the car to the states upond completion of their tour of duty in Bermuda.

I took relatively few pictures of the car when I had it (1967-1970) - and I am not sure if I took any which might show the 1600 script that I referred to on the engine hood. I will have to see if I can find one of the rear of the car and then get my magnifying glass out to look at the hood script. I usually have a pretty good memory on most of the things associated with the 78 cars I have owned in my lifetime - but, perhaps, this 75 year old brain of mine is starting to get a little foggy - so, for now, I will concede that I must be mistaken about the 1600cc engine, and succumb to more reliable information - that it was actually a 1500cc.

Bah! Humbug! I thought I might have had a really "one-of-a-kind" VW there !!

Best regards to all the VW people out there - especially all you '67 owners

Irv

The only thing that goes on a U.S. spec. VW's rear deck lid is the VW script. Click on the link for a picture.

http://www.oldbug.com/IMG_0693%20low.jpg