New Hupmobile Model 20 Crankshaft

MochetVelo

I've heard of our Model 20's losing crankshafts when you brake too hard without pushing in clutch, thus that heavy flywheel on the front of the crankshaft torques and breaks...I think it's a good part to have on shelf, thinking on it myself...

Crankshafts are not machined, just "$350 as cast". Ray Greene, 409-7277138, 2011 Ave. J Nederland Tx. 77627 He does not list an email address.

Thanks -Hmm the cast bit puts me off a little. Harold Sharon's advice was not to touch a cast crankshaft - I'll consider a bit further -Karl

G,day to all.

Edgar had a batch, I think four cast at a foundry here. They were cast in the iron that they cast the Ford falcon shafts in. Edgar tried to have the bearing journals cast larger but it was not practical. I think that he had the shafts Nitrided after they were ground. Anyway the whole process took far too long, may have been done piecework to keep Edgars cost down. Edgar always blamed the brakes for breaking the crank but as I have never seen or driven a Hup 20 that would lock the wheels on a Bitumen road @ 30 MPH I believe the cause is more probably misalignment of the main bearings. Few are line bored , individual bearings being bored in a lathe and hope alignment is Ok. but, what happens when the centre bearing bolts are pulled up to 40 plus ft lbs. How many times have the centre bearing halves been reversed and the rear main, the clutch hub, put on the wrong key to take up the slack in the drive keys. Imagine the shaft trying to align itself at every revolution. Hup dealers tried to convince the maker to improve the stoppers but it took until the very last production before they came out with full width cams and brake shoes, and even then the shoes were maliable iron and were far too heavy. My brother in law, who had a Hup 20 in the 20,s, always said," Hup 20, two speed, slow and slower, and both too fast for the brakes" Huppy new year. Max BURKE Nulkaba 2325 Australia

There are various repro Model T crankshafts that are cast, forged and machined from billet. The high-performance guys prefer the forged shafts, but a correctly-cast shaft should be fine for a low-power car like the Hupmobile Model 20. Here is a good article on the subject. The big question is the quality of this new Hupp shaft.

Phil

Thanks Phil I will talk to the seller and try and find out more about the cranks. I just have to work out the time difference between New Zealand and him so I don't ring him in the middle of the night ! -Karl

Phil I've spoken to one of my friends who is an engine reconditioner and his advice is not to purchase a cast crank . Therefore I don't think I will go with it .

Given this I will skip the expense of a 1/2 the world away international call to Mr Greene-Karl

But where can you get a forged crankshaft for the Hupp?

Phil

You can't get one (as far as I know) but you can carve one out of a forged billet -which almost certainly will be stronger than a cast crank. Cost is going to be more than $350 but even at this price the cast crank is going to need machining before use which will add to its final cost. Karl

Guest ferruccio

Hi Mr Ray Greene,today is arrived the new HUPP PARTS LOCATOR.

i reed on that you sale a crankshaft, so can you send me some photo, an the price for the shipment in italy?

my postal code is 26022 castelverde (cremona)

thank you very much

Ferruccio