I THINK ITS A 1926

Guest HOTROD316

Guest HOTROD316

I just found this forum, looks like it will be a great help. first, is there a place you are supposed to introduce yourself?

we think we just bought a 1926 70 series 2 door chrysler coach. will have my son post pics tomorrow I hope! the car is complete except for the front window and trim, shift knob, body is in great sharp. headlights, cowl, stop light are almost perfect. the head lights lens have a purple color to them with a eyebrow at the the top of the lens trim. is there a reason why the lens have a tint to them? the lens say baush and laum on them. Did the car have a heater in it? I have already learned alot for this forum and I hope to learn alot more.

I THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

HOTROD316

STEVE M

Sounds as it is a very nice car. The headlamp lenses sound original to me. We would need to see some photos or the serial number to tell what it may be. Here is a 1926 with the same lenses and I have seen quite a few purple tinted lenses on them. The glass in some bottles will turn purple, but I am not certain if the tint on these is original. The "eyebrow" is an original Chrysler feature on the headlamps.

post-37352-143142338941_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

1926 Model 70's changed head light designs mid year. The early cars had the peaked rims.

The motor number will be on the right side stamped between the water pump and the generator and will start with the letter "G"'

Some of the later motors had the number stamped on the left above the front water jacket cover.

It was common to have the motor changed so you could have a early car with a later motor.

As for the purple lens, ultra violet light would effect the composition of the glass over time.

Only after market heaters.

Guest HOTROD316

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME,

I AM NOT THE SMARTS GUY ON THE PLANT JUST WENT OUT AND GOT THE NUMBERS ON THE MOTOR IT'S ONLY -10 OUTSIDE

NUMBERS ON THE RIGHT SIDE IS G-131978

CAN YOU TILL THE SIZE BY THESE NUMBERS?

YES IT HAS THE PECK RIMS ON THE HEADLIGHTS AND THE COWL LIGHTS. EARLY MODLE ?

CAN YOU STILL FIND GASKETS FOR THE MOTOR?

STILL TRYING TO HAVE MY SON UPLOAD PICS BUT STAY TUNED,

AGAIN THANKS FOR YOU TIME

STEVE M.

Edited by HOTROD316 (see edit history)

According to the dash instruments and windows without the reveals, it looks like a 1926, to me. Here are the 1926 and 1927 Models respectively....notice the darker reveal around the windows on the 1927. No cowl lamps are shown on the 1927, either. The 1927 also came with kick plates on the running boards.

post-37352-143142340583_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143142340594_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Guest HOTROD316

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

26 is what we came up with too. the next qustion is it worth restoring?

To make $$$ or just to save something that old. Can not find a good source for price on this car. Have a good idea if it was a street rod.

My wife wants me to keep this one if it make sence! THIS IS WERE I NEED MORE HELP, VALUE?

AGAIN THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR TIME

STEVE M.

These early Chryslers were dependable and well designed.

I think it is worth restoring, but don't expect to make a lot of money.

If you have to write a bunch of checks to get everything done you may at best get 50% of the money back.

Turning a car that looks to this original into a Hot Rod would be a shame.

• 4 months later...
Guest HOTROD316

Hi thanks for all your help on this car! My loss somebody gain, we are going to sale this car because of personal reason at this time. Thought I would let you all you know first. $3500.00 cash has a good clean Ohio title