1959 Thunderbird Coupe

juanatejeda

Hello all! Happy New Year....

I want to convert my Hood latches on my 59 Squarebird into electric latches, basically the same as the ones that hold down the trunk lid on the convertibles. Was wondering if anyone has done or attempted this?

Will the Worm drives that are used for the trunk lids, maybe work for this conversion? If not, can anyone advise on where I might find some that will work.

Juan

post-36483-14314233706_thumb.jpg

post-36483-143142337061_thumb.jpg

post-36483-143142337062_thumb.jpg

OK, let me ask another question.

Does anyone know where I can purchase the Original type, electric trunk latches that secure the rear trunk lid on the 1958, 59 or 60 convertible Squarebirds? I need two, the male and female end of the latch.

Photos of what I am trying to replace on my hood.

post-36483-143142339487_thumb.jpg

post-36483-143142339507_thumb.jpg

post-36483-143142339522_thumb.jpg

post-36483-143142339798_thumb.jpg

The 58-9 Convertible deck lid was operated by two solenoids mounted on the deck lid, one on each side that released two latches. Springs near the hinges lifted the deck lid about 6". The driver then released a hood type secondary latch and lifted the deck lid to the upright position and then reached into the trunk area and using the switch, operated the top mechanism. On the 1960 all this was done from the driver seat. When the top lever was activated two screw mechanisms on the forward edges of the deck lid unscrewed from two post mounted sockets mounted to the floor of the trunk. When the limit switch determined that the screws were free of the sockets, the deck cylinders raised the deck lid, the flipper panel was raised, and then the top lowered. I'm not sure which system you want to operate your hood.

Carl

The 58-9 Convertible deck lid was operated by two solenoids mounted on the deck lid, one on each side that released two latches. Springs near the hinges lifted the deck lid about 6". The driver then released a hood type secondary latch and lifted the deck lid to the upright position and then reached into the trunk area and using the switch, operated the top mechanism. On the 1960 all this was done from the driver seat. When the top lever was activated two screw mechanisms on the forward edges of the deck lid unscrewed from two post mounted sockets mounted to the floor of the trunk. When the limit switch determined that the screws were free of the sockets, the deck cylinders raised the deck lid, the flipper panel was raised, and then the top lowered. I'm not sure which system you want to operate your hood.

Carl

Thanks for the reply and info. As explained, the one I would like to try is the 1960, where it is all done from the driver's position. I had seen that one work, but not on a T-Bird, I saw it on the Fairlane with the flip top. It just seems like it would be a better system to open and secure the Hood. Seems like I am always having to touch-up around the hood. If you didn't have to slam the hood to close it it would really be great. All I need to do is find and adapt those screws to the hood. Just seems like it would work.