1965 Oldsmobile Cutlass Convertible for sale

19tom40

This 1965 Cutlass convertible is a 62,000 (approx) mile car that I am the 3rd owner of. It runs and drives like a new car with no rattles. It does have some patina, but looks very good from about 10ft. The front fenders each have a soft spot at the bottom and the rest of the car is rust free. It has 4 good radial tires on it and the original spare is in the trunk.

The engine is the 330 high compression engine with 315HP and the Jetaway transmission.

The interior is original with a 8" tear in the driver's seat back and some deterioration in the seating area of the passenger seat. the door panels and back seat are mint, the dash pad is mint, the steering wheel has cracks. The area around the ignition lock is all scratched, but a good dash goes with the car. It has the signal seeking AM/FM radio. The radio works but needs cleaning so that the signal search feature works.

I bought the car without taking my wife along and when I got it home found out that after she got in it, she could not get out. The seating is too low for her. I just bought another car and need the storage space. Car is located in the Chicago area.

Asking $16,000 or best offer

post-52177-143142337821_thumb.jpg

post-52177-143142336899_thumb.jpg

post-52177-143142336902_thumb.jpg

post-52177-143142336905_thumb.jpg

post-52177-143142337815_thumb.jpg

post-52177-143142337818_thumb.jpg

post-52177-143142342942_thumb.gif

post-52177-143142342945_thumb.gif

post-52177-143142349807_thumb.gif

post-52177-143142349811_thumb.jpg

Edited by 19tom40 (see edit history)

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Price reduction now only $14,950 or best offer.

This car has no rattles, the trunk floor, rear fenders, deck lid and doors are all solid.The 2 small soft spots on the front fenders are not rusted through yet.

The car is very presentable and ready for summer touring.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
Looks like a nice car for the money. Surprised it hasn't sold. Maybe with summer coming on...

When a house doesn't sell after a year and a half, it's usually an indication that the property is priced above market. Just sayin'...

I suggest searching completed auctions and not just "old car price guides". Money changing hands is the best indication of market value. $15K is at the very, very top of the range for 65 Cutlass convertibles in perfect condition. That's 442 money. I wish the seller luck with the sale.

Those are exactly the sort of overstated value guides that I was referring to. There aren't enough sales of these cars to build a statistically valid database to that level of detail. Here is a listing of actual ebay auction sales for 1965 Cutlass Convertibles. You will note that the average is well below the $38,500 shown in the conceptcarz website. It's more like $10K. I'll also point out that even the site I've listed is not completely reliable, as often cars that are shown as "sold" are relisted a couple of weeks later with exactly the same ad - meaning that the deal did not really materialize. Ebay also allows you to search completed auctions for the last 30 days or so. I check this regularly for Oldsmobiles. You will notice that the high dollar cars almost never meet reserve and don't sell.

http://collectorcarpricetracker.com/auctions/make/Oldsmobile/model/Cutlass/keywords/convertible/years/1965-1965/

My point is that you cannot tell the value of a car until you inspect it in person. There are many sites that give average car values, but I have yet to find an average used car. All of them have different issues that can only be determined by an onsite inspection and drive. In short, your opinion was not asked and is worth just about what you paid to post it.

My point is that you cannot tell the value of a car until you inspect it in person. There are many sites that give average car values, but I have yet to find an average used car. All of them have different issues that can only be determined by an onsite inspection and drive. In short, your opinion was not asked and is worth just about what you paid to post it.

My worthless opinion is that high-dollar televised auction shows and the attendant inflated price guides are doing a disservice by making every seller think his or her car is worth far more than it is. Of course, every seller thinks his car is above average, also. My original point was that the market determines value, not a guide or anything else. If something doesn't sell after a year and a half, the market has spoken.

• 4 months later...