Running a Franklin on a Flexible Exhaust Hose

MikeDeFelice

I purchased a 2 1/2 inch No Crush Exhaust Hose to run my 1930 franklin on so I would not die from the exhaust fumes. It appears that the exhaust will not exit the 11 foot corrugated hose fast enough to prevent the hose from overheating and restricting the exhaust flow from the engine. Has anyone had an experience running there car on a hose without a blower in the line. Exhaust Pipe and the hose are 2 1/2 Diameter.

Thanks Mike

Why not just obtain a new proper exhaust pipe, muffler and tail pipe. I'm sure the car's worth it and it's cheaper than a funeral! Please forgive my sarcasm but the pipes that Bob Harrison has can work on a 30 and their much safer.

Bill

I talked to Crushproof Exhaust and although the ads say 600 that is only for a very brief time frame (400 is about max).On my Franklin the temperature at the point where the rubber attaches to the exhaust pipe is 4 times hotter than the exhaust pipe measured with the infrared gun and the rubber pipe jumps around like it is choked up. Yes I checked to make sure it wasn't but that is the way it acts. 90 degrees in about a minute on the pipe and around 400 on the rubber. It is like the exhaust gas cannot get out of the pipe fast enough. The engine is modified with 3 side draft Webers and a custom exhaust but I don't see how that would matter. The hose doesn't collapse. It expands and falls off the tailpipe in about a minute. The rubber starts to smell like it is burning. I haven't tried to tie it up and run it longer to see what it does.

Edited by MikeDeFelice (see edit history)

You have missed the point. I have the exhaust hooked to the Flexible pipe to get it out the hole in the door so I can run the Engine with the door closed. I don't have a problem with my car exhaust system.

Sorry for the missunderstanding but you didn't allude to the system you were using.

Bill

Mike,

If worse comes to worse you can always use interlocked metal hose, commonly referred to as flexible exhaust pipe. McmasterCarr has it in aluninum, steel and stainlee steel with temp ranges from 450 t0 1000 degrees F. It will not colapse and not create the drag that high temp rubber hose will. I think you can also get it at "PEP Boys or other automotive stores. "just a thought"

Bill

I think that is a good idea. Looks like a little over $100. for 10' of Stainless. Will wait until Monday to get a shipping Quote.It will answer the question about the rubber holding back the exhaust fumes. I haven't found a source for a fan to go in an exhaust system that will take the temp of the exhaust.

Mike

May interest those building garage or pouring floor, etc.: Shorter exhaust flex system. Installed 2.5" exhausts to outside when building garage; loops under foundation wall; cover pipes outside with mesh.Photo on left shows the 2 plugs in floor. Photo on rt. shows plugs, plug tool, and spare connector pipe {could not immediately locate the correct ones made up} nipple is missing on spare. Anyway, flex connector pipe is extremely short; might give someone an idea.

post-51030-143142338678_thumb.jpg

post-51030-143142338675_thumb.jpg

post-51030-143142338676_thumb.jpg

Edited by Franklin31 (see edit history)

May interest those building garage or pouring floor, etc.: Shorter exhaust flex system. Installed 2.5" exhausts to outside when building garage; loops under foundation wall; cover pipes outside with mesh.Photo on left shows the 2 plugs in floor. Photo on rt. shows plugs, plug tool, and spare connector pipe {could not immediately locate the correct ones made up} nipple is missing on spare. Anyway, flex connector pipe is extremely short; might give someone an idea.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]229380[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]229381[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]229382[/ATTACH]

That's a great idea, but I sure would like to have that Healey!

Bill

Yes it is the corrugated. I run it on my stock 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 pipe. Also stick it under the door and close the door on it that crushes it a small amount. I also push it about a foot or two on the pipe. I do not know why you are having back pressure problems.

I too have used the corrugated garage exhaust hose on 28, 31, and 32 Franklin's without any issues. I too simply slip the 3" or so dia. hose over the pipe a few feet and let her go. Have run at least 20" of pipe and my O2 sensor never goes off in the garage. Not sure why you are having trouble. I did note that both Dick and I are using bigger ID tubing than you.

Also, why are you using 2 1/2" exhaust pipe? I think original was under 2"?? Just curious.

Edited by franklin28 (see edit history)

Bob,

It appears that Mike is connecting the exhaust hose to the end of his header that he has made. Its no secret that on a unaltered Franklin the temperature of the exhaust is going to be considerably lower at the end of the tailpipe that coming out the header as he has it. He needs to add a temporary tailpipe of some kind if he wants to use the hose. To prove my point ,one can without concern hold your hand over the end of the exhaust with a tailpipe in place , but would be burned quickly as shown in the pictures. The car looks like its going to be a lot of fun.

Bob,

It appears that Mike is connecting the exhaust hose to the end of his header that he has made. Its no secret that on a unaltered Franklin the temperature of the exhaust is going to be considerably lower at the end of the tailpipe that coming out the header as he has it. He needs to add a temporary tailpipe of some kind if he wants to use the hose. To prove my point ,one can without concern hold your hand over the end of the exhaust with a tailpipe in place , but would be burned quickly as shown in the pictures. The car looks like its going to be a lot of fun.

First, I said Franklin had an under 2" dia exhaust. I meant to say under 2" tail pipe. The exhaust pipe is 2 1/2". And yes I missed the fact that he is running the rubber hose directly from the exhaust pipe and I agree that does get quite hot. I have connected my rubber exhaust hoses to the tail pipes.

I would like to see the picture of the engine with the 3 webbers. What is this engine going into? A Franklin? Hot Rod ????

• 2 weeks later...

I am building a small car shop and this thread made me think of running cars inside. I check with some local shops and found out that there is a very easy solution to exhaust removal. In Granger they sell a in line fane that fits into a 4 or 6 inch duct. Just put a outside vent through the wall. "AKA bathroom vent" install the fan and run a piece of PVC pipe over to where you run your vehicle. Use the rubber hose on the pipe and turn on the fan. This could be a portable unit also just put the fan on the end of the hose and lay it outside the door run the rubber hose under the door and turn on the fan.