1933-34-35- KC-KCL- wheels- how many wheels options was available?

countrytravler

Guest DodgeKCL

A Dodge truck Model K Series parts book (May 1936) says there were only wire wheels in 17" in various tire widths,steel artillery wheels in 17" various tire widths and disc and rim in 20" in various tire widths. BUT I have Chrysler photos of a KC with those fancy wooden artillery wheels that were around for a few years. Several cars used them including Plymouth. And I have modern "coffee table books" that say the KC could come with 16" wires or steel artillery. However in the 20 years I've had my KCL I've come to the conclusion that vast majority came mostly with 16" or 17" wire or 14 "hole' steel artillerys. If that 20" steel disc you have was on a KC(L) then it was almost a "one only". Even the photos of miltary versions of the KC(L) show them with 14 hole steel artillery. (I assume the military would not find wire wheels practical.)

Guest DodgeKCL

I think we will have to wait for the jury to come in after we have seen several originals with their caps undisturbed. The attachment system seems to have changed sometime in late 1935 when they changed to rear opening doors and put in the 1936 crank open windshield. But the jury's still out on the hubcap attachment system too. Now to open another can of worms. That original '35 KC has 10 hole wheels on it yet every photo I've ever seen has the 14 hole version. 10 hole wheels are GM as far as I know? Or mabye International. (We tend to forget that International was HUGE in the Commercial Car and truck market in the 30s.) I have found out that other manufacturer's wheel will substitute for ours and have the same opening for the hubcap. It was apparently a common size hole. Especially GM. The gauges in a KC(L) are Delco Remy with different face plate lettering.

• 1 year later...