1938 Zephyr column lock removal

Beltfed

My 38 arrived with no key or cylinder in the column lock. Sourced a new Ford column lock and trying to install. I have gotten the pinch bolt out of the bottom of the column drop plus the two bolts that secure the drop to the dash. Now what? The column drop plus ignition switch will rotate or spin on the column about 45 degrees but will not side up or down. Can someone, 1. point me in the direction of how to get this dang thing come off the column, 2. tell me how to do it? Thanks as always.

Remove steering wheel, remove clamp bolt at steering box that clamps the steering tube to the box. remove the wires to the switch, remove the two bolts holding the column to the dash, unplug the horn wire out under the hood where it comes through the steering box. then you will need to loosten the bolts holding the steering box to the frame to allow the column to drop down to gain clearance to slide the tube off the steering shaft. make sure the mechanism isnt in the lock position. If it is and you have the cyl out you can manipulate the locking bolt with a screwdriver.

Flatcat, Thanks for the information. I'd never figured that out. One more question please. I sourced my replacement lock cylinder from a Ford vendor. It doesn't look like anything shown in the Zephyr parts manual, but the manuals don't show any details for locks in the 1938 time frame. This one has a ...maybe 3/16" disk on the back which turns with the key. I'd post a pic of it but am away from the shop. Do you know if that cylinder with disk is correct for the 1938? Thanks

The disc on the end of the lock cyl is off center and works like a cam . It fits in a wide slot in the locking bolt therefore sliding the bolt when the key is turned. I have mine apart and can email you some pictures . My car is a 39 but I'm pretty sure 38 is the same.

Yes please! Data or information for the nooks and crannies of these cars in hard to find. How these cars can be as complicated as they are and hard to fix baffles me. I thought Ford built all their cars in this time period to be easy to repair. Guess I still believe in Tooth Fairy too.

I will post a pic of what I'm facing on the lock. It is missing the cylinder. I purchased a Ford cylinder and key and hope it works. "Walden" had a good idea to have the column cylinder key cut to the same one as the door lock. I will try to do this with a lock/safe company that's been around since before my time in my area. Thanks again for all the help.