1956 Oldsmobile Carb 4GC

Guest BOBORES

Guest BOBORES

I have a 1956 Oldsmobile 98 with a 324 engine. I need help to find the right carb kit complete with an accelerator pump. Any ideas??? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

One trouble with the 4GC is that they had an aluminum ID tag that often goes missing, and you need the numbers on that tag to get the right kit. You also need a good manual to make sure you put the right gaskets in them, since the kits will have several gaskets. Incorrect gaskets in a 4GC will make them do all sorts of hateful things.

Carbking on these forums can steer you right.

When tags are missing, 99 percent of the time the tag is missing because the carb IS NOT THE ORIGINAL.

Commercial carburetor rebuilders who sell their product through your FLAPS, "GROUP" several different carburetors together, and remove the tag so the knowledgeable customer will not know they are getting the wrong carburetor.

With the Rochester 4-GC (a.k.a. 4-Jet), it is sometimes possible to identify the carburetor without the tag. This link may help:

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carburetor_ID_Rochester_4G.htm

Once the carburetor has been exactly identified, a rebuilding kit with the correct parts including the accelerator pump is available.

Jon.