55 Power Steering Hoses

Mudbone

I have searched the forum and found various posts about power steering hoses. It appears that exact replacements are not available. I have always worked at a shop that makes hose assemblies. The problem is the fittings are not an exact replacement. However there may be a way around this. You can buy the crimp collars separately. If your fittings are ok, you can carefully cut the crimped part off of the fitting and then using a new collar, re-crimp a new hose on the original end. We have done this before on industrial equipment that has special order ends. Now, how many of you threw out your original hoses? My hoses are still serviceable and I do not want to cut them up. Does anybody have a junk set they would donate as a Ginny pig? I would prefer a set that the hoses are junk. I do not want to experiment on a good original set. If it works out you can have the first set back. If it is a total disaster, back to the drawing board. Mud

post-50945-143142332851_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142332861_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142332872_thumb.jpg

I have searched the forum and found various posts about power steering hoses. It appears that exact replacements are not available.....

Have you GOOGLED or checked out Weatherhead/Eaton? Weatherhead was an OEM supplier of hoses back then.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

After buying replacement hoses(single diameter only) from a vendor and finding them noisy, I had a set made at a local hose shop for about $80. Not as quiet as the originals but close and much quieter than the first replacement set.

But do the fittings look the same as original? Mud

Won't pass muster at Pebble Beach but peace of mind makes up for lack of authenticity. [ATTACH=CONFIG]229064[/ATTACH]

I agree with you completely. I would not want to have a hose break on the road. But if we can make them look correct on top of it that would be a plus. I will keep everyone posted on how this goes, good or bad. Mud

Kind of curious how the hyd shop was able to reuse the hose ends since they are crimped on. What I did with some lathe work I was able to make new ferrules and silver braze them to the original pipe ends. I bought new hose from McMaster-Carr and had the ferrules crimped at my local tractor dealer. No charge. There's a number of ways to skin this cat...................Bob

Kind of curious how the hyd shop was able to reuse the hose ends since they are crimped on. What I did with some lathe work I was able to make new ferrules and silver braze them to the original pipe ends. I bought new hose from McMaster-Carr and had the ferrules crimped at my local tractor dealer. No charge. There's a number of ways to skin this cat...................Bob

I just got the set that Willie sent me to experiment with. I will keep everyone updated on what's going on. Mud

• 3 weeks later...

After many phone calls I have yet found anyone that could sell me a small piece of the larger pressure hose. (Only 25’) Yesterday I started scrounging again at the Bobcat shop. I found a shelf with some scraps of hose (Mistakes most likely) and at the bottom of the pile I pulled out a coil of POWER STEERING HOSE! We had it all the time! Anyway I had ordered a small piece of the smaller ¼” hose. Now when I can find the time I will cut down the old ends so the new collar will fit and we will try a crimp. The crimp will look different but the hose and fitting should look correct. Mud

post-50945-143142361161_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142361172_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142361183_thumb.jpg

post-50945-143142361193_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 53 Roady

Very interesting. I think I,m going to ask my hydraulic shop to remake one of mine on the 53. One is brass ended perhaps original and the other is probably an old replacement. I just spent a spell looking for a fuel hose. I see a real opportunity for a small shop to reproduce accurate hoses like Inline Tube does hard lines. If you are already doing this run an ad.

Pat

The crimping tool you will use is the same as the tool for crimping A/C lines?

I found an old Parker power steering hose crimp die set at Bobcat today. The style is not the same as the original crimp, but looks better than the modern crimp. We did a practice crimp today. Let me know what you guys think. I will try and do a standard crimp tomorrow. Mud

post-50945-143142381546_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mud, I have a '53 that I need hoses for. I have an old original set of hoses. I am currently investigating if I should send these to a friend in San Antonio. He could take them in to this business and see what they can do. I will let you all know what happens.....

Bill

I am just about ready to put the crimp on this set. I came down with a nasty Intestinal flu bug and was out of action this last week. I am hoping to get them done soon. Mud

• 7 months later...

I finally cornered my friend at CSR Bobcat and had him help me crimp the hoses. We were able to get the return line done and the two outer ends of the pressure line. When we went to crimp the reducer crimps I did not allow enough room on the collars. I had to cut them back some to get a quality crimp. The plan is to crimp them tomorrow and then I will be able to pressure test them. Mud