Wanted 1932 Big eight exhaust manifold

ricosan

Ricosan. Finding an exhaust manifold for this is not very probable. Best choice is to get the old one welded up. You need to find someone who is experienced at welding cast iron, not always easy to do but necessary. You need to be very careful here as some people will say they know how to do this and then mess it up. Make sure you get someone with references. How are your other issues coming? I would still like to see a few more pictures of your car.

Good morning,

Nickel, I know it's a long shot but I had to try. Just by a wild chance that some one would have one laying around.

Meanwhile I've replaced the spark plugs and tightened up the ignition wire at the plug connection. This made a big difference. I got new ignition wire from Restoration supply and I'm going to install that as soon as I can. I also picked up an oil filter this morning and 10 quarts of non-detergent oil.

Just got off the phone with a welder who has experience with welding cast iron manifolds. He has an oven. He says he can weld it either brass or nickel rod. He recommends using nickel first. If that fails we can try brass.

ricosan

post-97329-143142332447_thumb.jpg

post-97329-143142332449_thumb.jpg

post-97329-143142332452_thumb.jpg

post-97329-143142332455_thumb.jpg

We talked a lot about stressing the metal. I am going to take the car out to him either this Thursday or Friday to see if the manifold will fit in his oven. I'm more than a little anxious about this.

Yesterday I sent the speedometer to Bob's Speedometer repair in Rowell MI. He advertises repair and restoration of vintage speedometers and he lists AC speedometers on his web site. I talked to him for some time. I told him what the symptoms were and he felt he could restore it. He says if it's beyond saving, he will return it to me and pay postage. I like it. When I get access to my brother's "pit" in his garage, I can disconnect the speedometer cable from underside. I can then inspect the cable and hopefully, lubricate it.

I found a set of gaskets for the exhaust/intake at Olson's Gasket. After looking at the manifold area more closely, I think I may need a few more gaskets.

I was finally able to find an oil filter so I am changing the oil today. CARQUEST got it for me overnight.

The shocks appear to be in surprisingly good condition but the car doesn't feel stable over bumps in the road. I'm going to check the fluid in them when I get access to the pit.

Ignition wire next job.

ricosan