Universal Joint Removal

abelincoln

Just pulled my 48 overdrive transmission from the front as engine is out for machine work. I figured the U-joint would stay with the driveshaft, but instead came with the trannie. The U-joint still doesn't want to pry off. Is the thing pinned somehow to the OD tail shaft? Or should I just pry some more?

I want to dissect the transmission enough to find where the few gear teeth with a pointed edge that came out when I drained the fluid came from. I'm suspecting synchros as it seemed to run fine. I'm also hoping they were from the last time someone had the trans out and didn't clean up. U-joint has about 1/4 inch free movement in both spider directions, surely this isn't normal? suspect I'll need a rebuild.

Thanks

Abe

Abe, there's a cap screw and washer that holds the U joint on. It's accessable thru the drive shaft end on the U joint. As long as the needle bearings are in place in the joint the side to side motionshould be OK. Suspect those gear chips wil be on either or both the low/reverse sliding gear or the low gear on the cluster.