wiring question for a 1948 Chry Windsor starting circuit

How does the the choke coil heat up while the car is in the running mode.

From looking at the wiring diagram, it gets heated when the car is cranking over. It gets its power from the starter 6 volt stud when he starter in engaged with the starter button then stops when button is released.

So, the choke gets heated from the manifold instead of the power coming from the starter when its running?

What is the function of the wire coming from the A post of the generator to the solenoid?

post-78906-143142327442_thumb.jpg

post-78906-143142327433_thumb.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

In the Sisson choke there is a solenoid that pulls the choke tight closed when the starter is turning and lets it open slightly when the engine starts. The solenoid is wired to the starter.

Then there is a bimetallic spring that opens the choke when the exhaust manifold heats up.

There should also be a thick asbestos or insulated gasket between the Sisson choke and the manifold.

For proper operation the choke must be adjusted correctly. There is a small hole you stick a drill shank in, or a piece of wire. Then adjust the choke.

If you don't have a manual can give more complete directions on request.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

• 1 month later...
In the Sisson choke there is a solenoid that pulls the choke tight closed when the starter is turning and lets it open slightly when the engine starts. The solenoid is wired to the starter.

Then there is a bimetallic spring that opens the choke when the exhaust manifold heats up.

There should also be a thick asbestos or insulated gasket between the Sisson choke and the manifold.

For proper operation the choke must be adjusted correctly. There is a small hole you stick a drill shank in, or a piece of wire. Then adjust the choke.

If you don't have a manual can give more complete directions on request.

Thanks for the info.

"What is the function of the wire coming from the A post of the generator to the solenoid?"

That part of the solenoid wiring circuit prevents the starter solenoid from being energized once the engine is running . With out the engine running and the generator "Arm" terminal not producing voltage the armature wiring circuit provides the ground side circuit for the solenoid relay coil.

Once the engine starts and is running the "ARM" circuit is producing voltage which opposes voltage from the starter switch. Therefore the starter solenoid cannot operate while the engine is running.

"What is the function of the wire coming from the A post of the generator to the solenoid?"

That part of the solenoid wiring circuit prevents the starter solenoid from being energized once the engine is running . With out the engine running and the generator "Arm" terminal not producing voltage the armature wiring circuit provides the ground side circuit for the solenoid relay coil.

Once the engine starts and is running the "ARM" circuit is producing voltage which opposes voltage from the starter switch. Therefore the starter solenoid cannot operate while the engine is running.

I was waiting for that, I knew it but couldn't remember.

One time I was going to demonstrate how the starter wouldn't engage while the car was running.

At an idle, whether the generator wasn't genning enough or the regulator was sticking the stater did engage.

I was bewildered because I had done it before without the starter engaging and it was a while before I realized why it hadn't worked and another while before I would try it again.

Jay

WOW! Great info on learning how to wrench on these old cars. This 48 has been a big learning tool. Totally different than what I thought. I'll find out this weekend if the system works the way it should. Its all new or rebuilt.

NOW! Need to find out how the spring returns are routed for the clutch and brake pedals under the car. they are all rigged. The owner wants it factory looking. 6 cyl with clutch-fluid drive and regular brakes. Any pictures?

Cant find in the books.

Also the procedure on setting the free play of the rear axles. The book only illustrates with adding or subtracting with shims. .003 to.008 free end play.

THANKS FOR THE INFO:cool:

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)

Now you got me wondering if any of my cars will will engage while running?:confused:

I'll let you know this weekend when I fire it up. Was wondering the same thing if the gen was not putting out. I had everything hooked up except the choke wire and the starter wouldn't engage.

Some clutch and brake spring pics on a 48 T&C .......

Pic of rear Axle shims of misc thicknesses for rear axle end play adjustment .030", .012", .010" ect shown..

To adjust the rear axle shaft end play you need to use a dial indicator and check end play with backing plates mounted. Use a brass hammer and whack the end of each axle to seat bearing race against backing plates. Then check for end play. Use whatever misc shim sizes to get proper end play smacking axles each time shims are added or taken away. Try to keep roughly the same thickness of shims on each side if possible.

Another note the big thick over center spring is niormally adjusted withe a special Miller service tool. It makes this adjustment fast and easy. If the spring and torque shaft is not adjusted right the clutch pedal will not feel right or return all the way and you will have to keep playing with the adjustments.

post-62228-143142372299_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143142372305_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143142372308_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143142372368_thumb.jpg

post-62228-14314237237_thumb.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Thank you 49, Great pictures, I couldn't find any drawings from all the books we have for the springs. I adjusted the axle as mentioned in your articles. I achieved .005 at both ends. Then I installed the drum's and torqued them to 142 lbs, no end play . Is that OK?:confused:

Now you got me wondering if any of my cars will will engage while running?:confused:

Bob,

One or two of our cars, when first started you have to goose the engine sometimes to get the charging system charging. The starter would only engage if I failed to make sure the amp gauge wasn't showing a positive charge. I attribute it to lack of use, when the time comes that goosing it a little doesn't get it charging I'll have to fix it.

So if the amp gauge is showing a discharge don't be showing off how superior those Chrysler cars are, or were.

Jay