1948 Woodie measurements

Guest RonSr

I'm restoring (resto-rod) a 48 Ford Woodie, all the wood is gone, but the metal is like new except the center of the floor and rockers which I will be replacing. I'm looking for some measurements to make sure the firewall/windshield are in the correct upright perspective relative to the floor. I don't want any surprises when I take it to have the wood fabricated and installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

I don't have a number for you, but it might not help you if I did. You would have to measure from exactly the same places on your car that I did on mine and it would also be assuming that mine was perfect. A better idea might be to take some measurements of your car from the same place on both sides and compare them, if they are the same (or at least close) you should be good. If the car is in good shape and you can't find any evidence of any changes/repairs having been done to it, then your cowl is probably where it should be. When building doors I always make them to fit the opening anyway, so even if something is slightly off the door still works.

I understand what you're saying, and I plan on doing just that. I wanted to see if anyone had some "good" measurements from an unmolested body just to make sure things are right. As you know a quarter of an inch off at the top of one side of the windshield may effect the whole side more than that small measurement. I'm finishing up another one of my customs so I still have time before I start on my Woodie. Thank you once again.