'41-'48 LC deck lid groove sheet metal

larry butcher

post-55048-143142324694_thumb.jpg

I feel your pain Larry, my car also had that issue. All I did was take some 18 gauge, put it in a vise and carefully started bending it over a little at a time, then moved it up a bit and bent it a bit more, you would have to do this several times to get a rounded edge rather than a sharp bend so it matches the original contour. Then you cut out the bad piece and weld in the new. If you have the rusted out area on the lower left or right edge where is is curved, you do it pretty much the same way however unless you have a shrinker/ stretcher, you will have to just cut small pie shaped pieces out of your straight piece then bend it to shape. It only has to be close to the original contour to allow the rubber seal to seat in place, once the seal is glued in, you won't see it anyway. Here are a couple of photos of a piece I made for John Murphy to repair a 41 dash that someone had hacked. It started out as I described, however I had a shrinker/stretcher to make the part curve to fit the curved part of the dash.

Tom

post-55048-143142324683_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143142324688_thumb.jpg

post-55048-143142324691_thumb.jpg

Does anyone know of a source for an extruded 18ga. channel that can be fitted and worked in to replace the gasket seat for the Continental deck lids . Any

Continental that ever sat out or was not cared for, has this rot out problem, Tom Overfield please jump on here. Thanks

I have the remains that I can cut out sections for you. I sent the latch area to Germany last year. Not perfect but very useable.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]227862[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]227863[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]227864[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]227865[/ATTACH]

I feel your pain Larry, my car also had that issue. All I did was take some 18 gauge, put it in a vise and carefully started bending it over a little at a time, then moved it up a bit and bent it a bit more, you would have to do this several times to get a rounded edge rather than a sharp bend so it matches the original contour. Then you cut out the bad piece and weld in the new. If you have the rusted out area on the lower left or right edge where is is curved, you do it pretty much the same way however unless you have a shrinker/ stretcher, you will have to just cut small pie shaped pieces out of your straight piece then bend it to shape. It only has to be close to the original contour to allow the rubber seal to seat in place, once the seal is glued in, you won't see it anyway. Here are a couple of photos of a piece I made for John Murphy to repair a 41 dash that someone had hacked. It started out as I described, however I had a shrinker/stretcher to make the part curve to fit the curved part of the dash.

Tom

Tom, Thanks for pics, I'am going to check it out and try it. I have the trunk floor, and both pass and drive floors to replace, so I'll be buying a full

sheet of steel (18 ga) . Thanks Larry Butcher