ME & MY '52 FORD F1

dei

For any of you that have read my threads, "Changing of Ownership" listed in this section and "Me and My 1958 Buicks", listed in the Me and My Buicks section of the BCA, understand my long interest in anything automotive. I have found it helpful and motivating to post about my cars and hope you will find this interesting.

My interest in owning a truck started when Dad paid for my membership in our local Car Club when I was 12. The Club had purchased an old Dairy Barn which used to house the horses and wagons and they rented space to members for their cars to help pay for the building which had a Club room up in the old hay loft renovated for meetings and functions. Dad kept his 1920 Overland there for a while and when he went down to work on it I would tag along and explore the three bays of cars there. As Dad trusted me, what a great time to be left alone taking in the vast collection of cars without adults around to watch you! A vehicle that caught my attention (among many others) was a fire engine red 1949 Ford F1 with a flat head V8! While not a 100 point truck it sure was something that stuck in my mind I'd like own some day.

Fast forward to the early 90's. While working in the suburb's I spot a white 48 to 52 Ford truck parked on the street near one of my jobs. Looking it over and seeing it was truly just a driver, decided to leave my card as no one seemed to be around, with a short note expressing my interest if he wanted to sell. Never heard anything from that effort but will come back to this later.

Move ahead to 2003. A group of fellow Car Club members and I are off early one morning to a swap meet and don't I spot a Ford truck parked on a lot near a Beer Store in town with a for sale sign on it. Man, couldn't get back soon enough to go look at it up close!

Being this was on Sunday the Awning business was closed so took down the phone number and waited till Monday. I spent some time looking this thing over and could tell it had been sitting outside for some time and had no current license plate on it. However.... it was white, had two flatheads sitting in the box under plastic and yet with a complete drive train in it. As faded as the paint was and the seat covers as ratted looking as they were, could this be the one I saw way back when?

It took a month of phone messages to the cell number on the truck and the Awning business before I finally met the owner and started to discuss price. In the mean time I started searching the net for similar truck pricing and looked at few listed locally before getting serious with this fellow. After a few conversations with my wife, I went back with a bottom line offer and he left me one of the spare engines (which turned out to be a boat anchor again due to bad storage) and the deal was done.

I did get three boxes of addition spare parts (mostly used) in the deal and while loading asked him about ever getting my card asking about selling it years ago. Being a bit of a character, he said no he did not remember anything like that but this was one of three trucks his dad had owned and he had grown up with. Oh well.

The truck started ok with a boost from a 12V battery but had it's original 6V positive ground system. Brakes worked OK but not strong and... as I was about to go up on the car dolly I had, doesn't he say that I should use 2nd gear as first had a few teeth missing and might break some more! OOHH K! Thank heavens the price was where it was as I suspected there would be a few hidden things to come!

So off to the shop we go and with the help of my mechanic the journey begins. This is September 2003 and since it has been 10 years I have decided to post what it has taken to get here today and what my plans are for the future.

post-36036-143142321182_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142321203_thumb.jpg

As purchased condition. Note the spare (boat anchor) engine under the plastic.

More to come.

post-36036-143142321195_thumb.jpg

Well.... I did get a bit of a chuckle from reading "another literary post". Having hated English class in both Grade School and High School seems foreign to be associated with anything so... LOL. When my wife read that however, she just had to say, "See, I told you. You have inherited your fathers penchant for story telling and detail!" So be it......

The one thing I have to admit here is this, a few have offered advice to new people in the hobby that it is better to own one car and concentrate on it than have too many and not accomplish much. Clearly I'm that example and with a recent issue this fall and with the help of one of my son's, plan on making some progress together concerning the Ford.

So...

The truck is stock to the brake drums. You can see from the previous pictures what appears to be chrome wheels and the front tires and back tires were different widths and radials. With all new brakes, new flex lines, two new rear steel lines, lightly turned drums, new clutch and pressure plate (in that box of goods), new cluster gear, four new tires (matching those on her) and a complete tune up (again found in the box of parts), with mechanics Safety in hand I was off to the license bureau.

post-36036-143142322062_thumb.jpg

Not a show queen but running and mine! All this in about 6 weeks.

Even though the truck was not a fine example of a well preserved vehicle and displayed signs of hard use I was a happy camper and was content to dive in and clean her up as best I could.

While pondering just where to start, after taking a few comments on the overall condition/look, decided to tackle the interior as my budget did not include a body & paint job just yet. First job was to take off those tattered looking seat covers and see what was underneath.

post-36036-143142324618_thumb.jpg

Note the red shag carpet oooooo....That definately had to go!

I could tell there was some red, what appeared to be vinyl from the torn sections but was surprised to see that it was the original material when new.

post-36036-143142324626_thumb.jpg

With not much effort out came the seat which needed to have two seat springs repaired before recovering.

post-36036-143142324637_thumb.jpg

Now to that shag carpet. Once pulled up imagine my surprise what I find near the drivers door?

post-36036-143142324649_thumb.jpg

Sure enough! This was the same truck I had seen on the road about 10 years earlier!

Edited by dei
sp (see edit history)

Thanks Ben, glad you're liking it.

Because I treat my vehicles as a hobby and not a business (no offense to anyone in the business please) I learned early that every 'car' has a story (as told by it's owner) and I enjoy hearing about that and sharing when asked about mine.

My truck is nothing special production wise, model wise, condition wise or has any historical significance but the twist in how it came to be mine, the experiences and the people I've met while owning and driving it are the parts of the hobby I enjoy.

One particular experience that sticks in my mind is taking a fellow Car Club member with me in the '52 out to one of our Club events soon after I got her on the road. This particular gentleman has known me as 'the kid in the Club' and ironically it was his red 49 Ford truck I mentioned earlier that sparked my interest in a Ford Truck. His particular interest in cars was always to have something more of a Trophy Class and he did indeed have a variety of exceptional cars over the years but never any longer than about two years per car. He was never a snob or degrading of your cars but I thought it curious he accepted my offer to drive the 20 miles and back in my kind of Rat Rod looking truck on this occasion. The day was great taking the back roads and the conversation good. On the way home he says to me "You really enjoy driving your cars don't you". Uh ya, don't you? No.... I worry about getting a stone chip or something happening I guess. Knowing he could afford it I said, "Maybe you should get something that would be your driver and still keep your GOOD car for show too". Sure enough doesn't he get a 68 Mustang convertible that according to him wasn't restored just tip top and proceeded to drive it for almost 5 years. Sadly, due to his age he isn't driving now but did thank me for suggesting he get out there and enjoy driving something instead of looking at it parked in the garage.

It's all good, to each his own.

post-36036-143142325573_thumb.jpg

Yes Doug, certainly good to have a "driver"!!!! Now I never wanted a trailer queen, ever; however, as a friend has printed on his business cards: "It's better to wear out than rust out!". Need that driver - keeps up the enthusiasm doesn't it? Also, why you should restore a part as you go & keep drivin', no?

Well another Xmas has passed and hope everyone like me & my wife had a Happy and Safe Holiday!

I'm sitting in the living room looking at the cat sleeping under the tree on the skirt now that all the presents are gone and thought I'd share one that my son and his girl friend were kind enough to get me.

post-36036-143142328678_thumb.jpg

Not old but a nice wall decoration in the man cave

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Back to the truck.

I had no insulation or heat in the garage but was so determined to clean things up that winter that I rigged up a temporary frame, covered it loosely with plastic and used an electric heater while working there. Wasn't too bad for the small things I was doing.

As mentioned, the seat was at the upholstery shop who gave me a price to totally redo the frame, including repair the springs, paint and do a stitched pattern that copied the pattern left by those seat covers. I have been in a few cars with seats that had that smooth non pleated look before and didn't like sliding around in them so knowing the truck rode like a truck and no seat belts, had a pattern sewn in.

post-36036-143142329402_thumb.jpg

With Xmas and New Years over and the tree put away what better place to have a part of my new toy than in front of the fireplace! It wasn't there too long as I'm still married to the same girl......

In the mean time other things were in the works. Seems I had more energy (and money) then.....

Since my work is seasonal I was able to occupy my time from January through March finishing up the cab interior more before putting the redone seat back in and spent many hours rubbing out the paint with compound by hand and then more hours polishing (again by hand). The many marks in the paint needed to be touched up as I wasn't prepared to do any major body / paint job since the front fenders were full of bondo! I just new they would more than likely need to be replaced so did what little on them that needed to be done for now. What I found after some trial samples of white paint was that Tremclad White was a perfect match! With a bit of thinner on a long haired brush, dipping it in the paint can I was able to get a fairly presentable look. With a bit of wet sanding and then more polishing I was able to blend the new with the old somewhat.

There were more hours spent on cleaning up the rims with SOS pads and lots of liquid chrome cleaner.

By April and the streets free of salt residue I was ready for the car (truck) season.

post-36036-143142338747_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142338733_thumb.jpg

While enjoying driving around to the various Cruise-ins locally my next effort was to address the box.

Remember I said that when I first looked at it there were two engines in the box? He kept the one motor and reduced the price when I pointed out that it had no carb on it and I could see that water had gone inside the intake. Wished I'd have taken that one as.... the one I kept, while having a carb on it, had as much exposure to it and more, hence being nothing more than a boat anchor! With those two motors sitting there and no real care having taken place there was a lot of oil that had leaked or came from other sources and while the wood was solid it none the less would not clean up like new. I decided to degrease it as much as possible, sand out the rough places and stain it with a dark wood stain and varnish for now.

Without taking off the steel floor rails I sanded and painted them before staining the wood.

Before all this I started with sanding and painting (again with that Tremclad White and by brush) the top rails and interior metal walls including the inside of the tailgate.

Soon after this was completed I decided I wanted a toneau cover to protect what I had done and be able to keep things out of view when attending car shows. I have seen various methods / designs on many trucks over the years and my choice was to not have one that went completely over the side bed rails. That left me with the question of how to attach it inside the box. I came up with the idea of lining the walls with 3/4 inch plywood, staining it with semi transparent stain and having a 1x2 wood top rail where snaps would go on the very top keeping it below the slanted side rails.

The local Upholstery Shop was willing to custom fit a vinyl cover once I had everything in place for a very reasonable price. It was made out of a material that is used in the trucking industry on trailers that have the sides made to roll up out of the way. It remains flexible, wipes up nicely and has weathered well.

post-36036-143142344032_thumb.jpg

Not a really clear shot of the stained sides and wood floor.

Note the dented right fender. Could have pounded it out some but painted it with Tremclad as is for now. (It does make for some conversation or comments)

post-36036-143142343762_thumb.jpg

With the mechanical repairs made properly and having gained my confidence in it's reliability the next several years were spent just enjoying driving her when ever I could to as many events as I could!

post-36036-143142347629_thumb.jpg

It was never my intention to do a body off restoration or front clip V8 kind of thing but by doing little things like chroming the front hood piece, new re-pop V8 emblem, new F O R D letters, polishing up the hood side trim, SS headlight rings, running board step plates, sanding and repainting the bumpers and new interior headliner boards sure helped the general overall looks.

post-36036-143142347669_thumb.jpg

However, those front fenders were constantly staring back at me with all the bondo and cracks in them! After a few helpful (?) suggestions from other Ford truck owners, I decided to buy fiberglass fenders, running boards and a sun visor from a manufacturer here in Ontario and scout out a local shop to do the work over one winter. That proved to be discouraging as two of the shops basically said they would never do fiberglass fenders again as they don't ever fit right, sometimes develop cracks and just require too much work to get it right.

In the mean time, while attending a Buick sponsored Swap Meet, what do I find out in the parking lot? There on the ground were two used steel front fenders and a lower front valance in nice shape! Fifty bucks later, they're mine!

Anyone want to buy a pair of fiberglass fenders for a 51 / 52 Ford F1 truck?

post-36036-143142347643_thumb.jpg

It's now 2006 and I have been traveling around locally with no real issues accept noticing when I put my foot into it a bit more than usual there is some smoke coming out of both dual exhaust pipes. About every 2nd tank of gas she needs almost a liter of oil but sounds good and performing fine.

I decided to go with a group to a car show in Bothwell Ontario that August which is about 70 miles one way but a great show with well over 1000 cars when the weather is good. It is sponsored by Old Autos magazine and has had a 50/50 draw reach as high as $20,000.00 each way once!

I load up the truck with a few essentials including a case of oil since I figured she might be going to use just a bit....

Fifty miles out the gang has to make a pit stop and I take the opportunity to check the oil. Sure enough, she needs a liter. Topped up we arrive with no issues, set up shade tents for the girls and go off through the swap meet.

post-36036-143142354687_thumb.jpg

When I came back I found two guys waiting for me and want to talk about the truck. They told me that it had been their Dad's truck when they were young kids and used to go down the side roads with him at the wheel collecting pop bottles from the sides of the road and the ditches on weekends for extra money.

I spent about an hour with them while they talked about some of the abuse it went through from their oldest brother who I bought it from. When I told them it had used a liter of oil coming to the show, one of them asked if I had done anything with the motor? They were shocked to hear me say that all I did was a complete tune up and a couple of oil changes in the two years I owned it! They remembered their Dad always complaining about having to fill that D@$%@ thing up. (Maybe that was why they were looking to cash in those pop bottles?)

Oh, and how did they recognize it as their truck? By the red trim of course and the rims that the brother talked their Dad into putting on.

When time to head home I checked the oil again to find it needed just a bit and topped it off. I told the group that I needed to check it again about half way and when we stopped it took another whole liter! Still never missing a beat or showing signs of overheating we made it home but before I put it away don't I need to put in another liter!

Essentially I did a complete oil change while on the road! That old flathead is going to need some attention......

post-36036-143142354664_thumb.jpg

To this day I'm always amazed at people that consider a car just a means of transportation and disposable.

Dad always bought used cars with high mileage and was able to get many dependable miles out of the engines by changing the oil himself about every two thousand miles with new oil filters each time. Even my old Limited, with a can of STP every so often, I logged another 45,000 miles on it simply because it had been taken care of.

That motor today has about 145,000 miles on it since it survives in my Special and has never been apart.

post-36036-143142355135_thumb.jpg

With having proven she can take a lickin' & keep on tickin' I enjoyed driving the truck over the next period of years when the urge hit me. Not however without that case of oil hidden under that box cover - Ha HA

post-36036-143142358136_thumb.jpg

Following the 1928 Whippet & Dad home from the Willistead Classic Car Show

post-36036-143142358147_thumb.jpg

Attending the twice a year Car Show at my local Car Club

post-36036-143142358168_thumb.jpg

Managing to mix two hobbies, Although.... quite the experience having a stick shift on a boat ramp!

post-36036-143142358187_thumb.jpg

Since I have a few properties to take care of (mine), once in awhile I hook up the trailer. More than once at a stop light I was asked the question, "Are you in a business?". No... just moving the trailer to storage. Hmmmm ......

As we all know this hobby brings together many people with similar and yet varied interests in what their vehicles should be. While there are many examples of finely restored trucks and nice original ones, the general trend for this era vehicle is to modernize it with some sort of modern V8, 12 Volt system and disc brakes at the vary least. While I respectfully appreciate the ability of those that can make those kind of changes that work well and look really good, my choice is to enjoy the experience of how things were 'in the day'. Consequently, many times while at cruise-ins the conversations often come about as to why don't I make it more modern?

On this one particular night I look over to my truck and see this fellow who is wearing a welders cap really studying the front fenders and he is in a wheel chair. I wander over and we start to talk. The usual subject comes up about changing the motor etc which he not only really likes but indeed has done for a few guys. It seems he had a body & paint shop at one time and there was an accident which left him disabled. Not to let this hold him back however does he not build (with some help) a 49 Ford truck for himself to be able to drive with custom controls he made! We go to his truck and it is a beaut! (I need to find those pictures)

He says to me that if I`m determined to keep my truck stock that I should come out to his place as he might have some stuff left over from some of those conversion jobs. Sure enough a visit there proved not only worthwhile but found him to be more than reasonable with regard to price and a really nice guy!

I ended up with a new complete wiring harness, set of horns, numerous items for tune ups, two new carb kits and a complete set of used chrome knobs for the dash controls.

Then... he asks if I want a flathead motor?

Uhhhmmm... mine is using by now a lot of oil and needs rebuilding so... ?? It seems he knew a guy that wanted to build a truck with a flathead but halfway through changed his mind and went with the modern V8. He says to leave it with him and will call me. I left that day with some anxiousness but kept telling myself 'remember your boat anchor'.

Most of that summer went buy and I finally get a call to come and look at this motor. When I see it he has it hanging from his chain falls in his home shop and while dirty looking it is all there right to the carb and starter!

The story was that this guy found it in a dump truck which the speedometer was showing only 35,000 miles. He supposedly managed to get it running before he pulled it out and later changed his mind about using it. Would I be willing to buy it for 200?

While hesitating to say yes he says, "Look, I will guarantee you that you can put some gas to this thing and it WILL run!" Some times you just have that feeling when some one is out to sell you a bill of goods right?

This was not one of those times as..... I took it home, hung it from my engine hoist, hooked up a can of gas to the fuel pump, ran a wire to the coil from a battery, jumped the starter and after the second attempt...... she came to life as promised!

Not having hooked up any kind of rad it was all I could do to get myself to pull the coil wire while listening to it idle there before letting it get too hot!

post-36036-143142360036_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142360027_thumb.jpg

So, it has taken 20 posts to basically describe the journey with my truck these past 10 years and bring it up to today.

It is my plan to get the engine swapped out, that front clip taken off and redone with the replacement fenders and other collected parts. Since it is soooo cold right now the actual restoring of the front clip, with not having any heat in the garage, it might take a month or two before I can actually get started but here is what I have to start with as of now;

post-36036-14314236778_thumb.jpg

All tucked in for the winter at the back.

post-36036-143142367798_thumb.jpg :rolleyes:

post-36036-143142367784_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142367789_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142367793_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind words Paul. Putting this together has been a fun exercise (and easier than the work required getting things done - ha ha :D)

I woke up this morning to a temperature of -5 and a chill factor of -35 but understand that I'm NOT alone here! What a winter! So much for global warming........

In the mean time, doing a few things that need to get going, which are small and portable, over to my Dad's single car heated garage before the big push. I'd like to not be down all summer but .....

Here is the lower valance I acquired a few years ago with those fenders. I had stripped all the paint off to find this awhile ago. I have no experience with body work or welding and let it sit because of that but have another friend who is in the business (also owns a nice customized 50 Ford truck). He will do the final paint and is willing to guide me along with some of the prep work.

post-36036-143142369562_thumb.jpg

You just never know what others have done till you uncover all that paint.....

post-36036-143142369553_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142369558_thumb.jpg

This is the Ford truck that is owned by the fellow who is mentoring me with mine. He did this work several years ago. It's in his shop due to a recent move to a newer house and lost his storage at home. Nothing a careful washing will not take care of.

Talk about a blend of old and newer look.

post-36036-143142371017_thumb.jpg

And another one of his projects.

post-36036-14314237103_thumb.jpg

Wish my numbers would come up on the Lottery!

post-36036-143142371011_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142371021_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142371025_thumb.jpg

After having loaded up the Snow Blower in preparation for an expected 6 inches more of the white stuff in the next 24hrs I went up in the rafters and pulled down a few more parts to get them ready the work ahead. Fortunately most of what I need is in one location (I think...) so will put things all together in an order that I think they will be needed.

post-36036-143142378667_thumb.jpg

Panels behind the headlights (inner fenders)

post-36036-143142378676_thumb.jpg

Headlight buckets I picked up at a swap meet figuring mine would be possibly rusted out like the headlight panels.

post-36036-143142378681_thumb.jpg

New engine compartment wiring harness.

post-36036-143142378685_thumb.jpg

New horn & headlight wiring.....

Have not put my hands on the dash harness yet but it is there somewhere......

• 4 weeks later...

Small progress, COLD weather and dealing with health issues. Mom has had a mini stroke and parental priorities in play as I'm the oldest .....

Meantime.. received a call from the paint shop and ....

post-36036-143142409418_thumb.jpg

Waiting for the lower front valence and will drop off these.

post-36036-143142409431_thumb.jpg

Everything will be blasted, epoxy primed and painted piece by piece. Tried this white and I think it leans too much on the blue hue so will be having them redone a whiter white, closer to what is on the truck now.

post-36036-143142409406_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142409413_thumb.jpg

post-36036-143142409426_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Not much to report progress wise on the truck as...

I decided to go to the garage and pull down the front fenders from the attic with the intention of trying to fit the lower corner pieces on them and then take all four pieces over to the paint shop.

With the recent thaw (two 45 degree days) followed by four days below 32 degrees, my side doors were frozen closed as there is no unfrozen drainage around the garage. After chopping out an inch of ice I proceeded to enter.... went in the back door and didn't turn on the lights therefore not seeing the icy floor and almost fell backwards banging my elbow on the edge of my Overland touring stopping on the running boards!

Spent the rest of the afternoon shoveling snow around the garage (not praising the weather very nicely) in the hopes of providing a path for the water created by next snow melt.

No insulation or heat in the garage is providing a challenge to get rid of the ice and eventual water. (not good for the cars...sigh:mad:)