True temperature range of gauge?

Beltfed

I after much searching I think I have found a solution to replacing my defective temp gauge sender. I need to know what the range of the temp gauge is in degrees F. instead of cold and hot. I will then calibrate my sender/gauge with a hot plate, hot water and accurate thermometer. If it works, and I think it will as I have cobbled up the the gauge with resistors. I have to wait till the sender arrives and if successful, will post the results with part number, vendor, etc.

BTW, if anyone is interested. The temp gauge reads cold at 200 ohms and hot at 30 ohms. As with many gauges such as the gas gauge, it is a negative coefficient type. Thanks

My old Motor's Manual describes checking the temp gauge using a thermometer and hot water this way: the "cold" mark at 100 deg's the center mark at 180 deg's and the "hot" mark at 212 Deg's. While it doesn't mention Lincoln specifically I see no reason why they would be different. These old gauges weren't all that accurate to begin with and over many years of use the effectiveness of the bi-metal actuators would probably deteriorate. These old gauges do seem to fair better than the senders though.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)