What is the car?

Steve Braverman

It could be a 1934 Chrysler CA. I purchased one of those 50 years ago this month, a nice original one-family garage-kept car with 65K miles. I enjoyed it for five years before sending it to a new home.

Note the front vent windows in the photo. Chrysler (and Dodge) had front windows which could be converted by the flip of a lever. In one lever position, the entire window assembly (side window + vent) surrounded by a frame, lowered into the door. In the other position, the frame remained up and the vent and side window operated individually.

It could be a 1934 Chrysler CA. I purchased one of those 50 years ago this month, a nice original one-family garage-kept car with 65K miles. I enjoyed it for five years before sending it to a new home.

Note the front vent windows in the photo. Chrysler (and Dodge) had front windows which could be converted by the flip of a lever. In one lever position, the entire window assembly (side window + vent) surrounded by a frame, lowered into the door. In the other position, the frame remained up and the vent and side window operated individually.

Other Chrysler products had the same feature that year.

Not 34 Plymouth. The rear quarter windows are too wide. Plymouth also had opening rear quarter windows but they were narrower. In addition, although somebody's cousin is right in the way, I think you can see that the rear panel is starting to slope outward. The 34 Dodge has a duck-tail type rear panel, not cropped short like the 34 Plymouth shown above in Leif's photo. From what you can see, if it was a 34 Plymouth I would think you should be able to already see the panel bending in or perhaps even the lower body detail line. Although 34 Plymouths (at least the PE and PF models) also had the 'dual function' front door window vents, car is definitely not 34 Plymouth. I'm thinking 34 Dodge although I am not familiar enough with 34 Chryslers to rule them out. Anybody for a Desoto? Attached pictures, in order, 34 Dodge sedan rear and my 34 Plymouth PE 4-dr.post-89602-143142320766_thumb.jpg

post-89602-143142320763_thumb.jpg