52 200 engine ID help?

Guest HA 52

I've been researching engine options for these cars, this is a 200 Deluxe vehicle number 2562 11066. So it should have a 288 in it, and indeed the head says 288 STD 8 on it. But the engine number that is stamped on the block is K406378, which should be a 327 (optional on this car).

It has the 2bbl carb, which I think belongs to a 288 also. So what is it, do the heads mix and match?

The heads are interchangeable and factory sanctioned. Here is an article from a 1950 service counselor to that effect. Even though it is labeled 22-23 series, it applies to later engines as well -- except the 359 engine in 54. The 52 carbs were all two barrels and the Deluxe would have had the WGD 928S used on all except the standard 200. That model used the WGD-784S. A considerable amount of the factory literature is available for download at packardinfo.com if you want to research farther.

post-43944-143142319044_thumb.jpg

Agreed on the packardinfo site, lots to digest there and I'm working my way through it all. So with my engine having higher compression would that be due to the Ultramatic? It seems that Ultramatic cars had slightly more horsepower than manuals?

OK, thanks for the hints, I scraped a little more dirt off the top of the engine and the head says "288 STD 327 AT", and it has the 928S carb. So it's a 327 and now I know what I'm dealing with. It is too cold to try to start (or even turn over) the engine now, so I'll busy myself with the carb kit, fuel pump, generator and starter along with everything else you need to do to a car that's sat in an open shed for 50 yrs. Spring will be along eventually.