speedometer cable

ricosan

I just took delivery of a 1932 8-125. I'm new to Marmons. Today was the first time I've been able to drive it other than just around the block. I got the tags today and drove it 5 or 6 miles. About half way through the drive an alarming sound came from under the car. The noise would come and go. I noticed fluctuations in the speedometer as the noise came and went. I felt the speedometer cable and it had a vibration. Is there any place to buy a speedometer cable for a Marmon What can I do?

ricosan

post-97329-143142318806_thumb.jpg

I'm in Tallahassee. I've heard of White Georgia but I don't know where it is. I tried to find a speedometer company around here but Tallahassee is too small. Jacksonville is the nearest I found. It looks like the cable attaches to the rear wheel. Does this sound right?

ricosan

Layden,

No! How do you lubricate the cable. Do I have to remove it from the sleeve and grease it? what type of grease should I use? It does sound like a lubrication problem as I can drive a mile or two before the noise starts and then the speedometer goes wild. If I stop and back up a few feet I can then proceed without the noise for maybe a quarter of a mile. I've been looking for an owners manual for the 1932 so that I can learn how to service the car and maintain it properly. There was little information about this car when I purchased it and I have no records from previous owners. I'm rambling.

ricosan

Guessing here a bit but I think that if you unscrew the cable from the back of the speedometer head the inner core will slide out. Wipe off any old hard grease and check it for any frays in what is probably a wire core. Plenty of chassis grease into the housing and lube the core as you put it back. You cannot get too much inside only too little! You may have to unscrew the bottom drive end of the cable to free up the core for removal and to get the core into the drive when replacing the core. Easy job usually neglected and can be messy!

I think it is likely that you have a lubrication problem here. When you get the cable out make sure you examine it closely for frayed areas and kinks. They make a special lubricant for speedometer cables or you can also use white lithium grease. be careful not to use too much as you don't want the grease to climb up the housing and get into the speedometer. The technical advice person from the Marmon Club for your model is Warren (Bill) Jaquiery, 203-481-9378. I would ask him about a manual as you will want one of those. White GA is a bump in the road on I-75 about 40 miles north of Atlanta.

I am not familiar with your model but I would go to the other end and unscrew the housing. Try taking it out from the other direction. I am assuming that you have checked to see that it turns inside the housing. What brand of speedometer is in this car? If still a problem try posting a couple of pictures of each end. Don't hesitate to call Bill Jaquiery and ask him.

Good morning Nickel,

The shaft turns freely in the sleeve and without noise. I'm thinking that the trouble may lie with the speedometer itself. I removed it yesterday and I plan to devise something to stick into the end so that I can turn the speedometer at speed to see if I can generate the same noise.

Good morning Nickel,

Merry Christmas!

I attached a drill to the back or the speedometer yesterday and ran it up to 60 or 70 MPH. Although it didn't make any noise, and I didn't run it for long, it is still suspect. It appears to have had someone inside the speedo before. As soon as I can get a lift (my brother has a garage with a pit in it) I will disconnect the cable and remove it for lubrication.

ricosan

post-97329-143142326578_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

Here's an update to the end of this story. I sent my speedometer to "Bobs" last month. Good turn around. I got the speedometer back in less than 2 weeks from the time I shipped it off to Bob. It works great but it was very pricey!

I still haven't had a chance to lubricate the cable.

ricosan

ricosan