Fender Skirt Latching Mechanism Bits

rockitdoc

Hi,

I am trying to restore the latch mechanism on my '41 Continental Coupe. I know, lots of rust. Anyway, I must be missing some bits, because I can't figure out how this must have worked. The pic below is what I have. The pic shows three pieces and I also have a pivot bit that measures 0.500" long and is about 0.500" dia at the widest part in the center. It's at the machine shop being reproduced.

What is the piece or pieces I am missing? Are they available or can somebody send me drawings so I can make them?

Thanks, in advance, as usual.

S

post-62942-143142310729_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a sketch I made of the inside of the latch mechanism from my '41 Sedan that shows all the parts. The bolt is held in place (square hole) by a screw and washer. There are two pieces to the short linkage and they sandwich the lever and the larger latch plate. Looks like you have all the pieces except the pivot pins

-Dave

post-31572-143142325992_thumb.jpg

Edited by DSpringer (see edit history)

Hey Rockitdoc, Photos of mine, looks like my 40 sedan may be the same as your 41 Cont, as stated in the thread. Still searching for more information, or did you find what you need? I can take it apart and get some photos/dimensions if you still need it. Paul

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228025[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]228026[/ATTACH]

Paul,

Don't take it apart. It's a pita to get it back together. I got it figured out, I think. I'm fabricating new covers for mine, and one of the link mechanisms was assembled backwards. That's why one side didn't retract all the way. I'll post pictures of the new covers with the old ones when I get them done and before I put it all back together in case someone else is needing to do this. Scott