WANTED: 1977 OEM Chrysler Newport Am/Fm Cassette Radio

Guest DOrtiz

Hey everyone! I am trying to find the best give to give my father for Christmas. The one thing he hasn't been able to find is a radio for his car. He has a 1977 Chrysler Newport. EVERYTHING is original so I am looking for the same in the radio. If anyone has any leads, I would highly appreciate help in aiding my father completing his dream!

The factory radio choices in 77 didn't include a cassette option. You could get AM, AM/FM, AM/FM Stereo, Digital-electronic tuning AM/FM Stereo, or the AM/FM/8 track stereo radios.The cassette option that will fit is from around 1980 and will usually have a silver faceplate but certain cars had a black faceplate, they also had an external amplifier with a pushbutton switch on the lower dash.

The factory radio choices in 77 didn't include a cassette option. You could get AM, AM/FM, AM/FM Stereo, Digital-electronic tuning AM/FM Stereo, or the AM/FM/8 track stereo radios.The cassette option that will fit is from around 1980 and will usually have a silver faceplate but certain cars had a black faceplate, they also had an external amplifier with a pushbutton switch on the lower dash.

Thank you so much! It seems I have gotten further already in my research then my father has :) I'll have to get a feel for what radio he would rather have... factory or a cassette one that will fit. The car is all original with only 18,000 miles on it so I'm assuming factory. Are they hard to find?

Not sure of availability. I didn't see any on flea-bay except for an 8 track player but the asking price was $169! You could look around in wrecking yards and they could be much less expensive. If you decide to change out the stereo, be sure you know how to take the dash apart. They were brittle and easy to break even when newer.

Does the car in question have a second floor switch next to the headlight dimmer switch on the floor? If so then it was equipped with the searchtune radio, I'm not sure how different the wiring was for that radio. I would recommend just using the am/fm stereo radio because any of the tape players were very troublesome, the stereo radios will have a light labeled 'stereo' that illuminates when a stereo station is tuned in. None of the factory radios have good sound quality unless you get a radio shop to replace the guts of the radio.

Thank you for all of the replies! I've dug a little deeper and the book that came with the car has 3 different models in it so the radio option was a big skewed from first glance. I did see that it is true, that the cassette option was not available so I have discontinued my hunt for that. Now it is the am/fm stereo radio. I'm not sure about switching it out in the dash, but if I find a radio to give my dad, then I will give him the heads up on the installment advice :)

169 dollars would be a small price to pay to make his dream come true, though it would be nicer to find something a little less expensive.

I cannot thank all of you enough for the responses!!! Bless everyone of you!

And the search continues :)

Does the car in question have a second floor switch next to the headlight dimmer switch on the floor? If so then it was equipped with the searchtune radio, I'm not sure how different the wiring was for that radio. I would recommend just using the am/fm stereo radio because any of the tape players were very troublesome, the stereo radios will have a light labeled 'stereo' that illuminates when a stereo station is tuned in. None of the factory radios have good sound quality unless you get a radio shop to replace the guts of the radio.

It does not have a second switch on the floor. Through your and others knowledge, I am just looking for an Am/Fm Stereo now.. without the cassette or 8 track. Thank you so much for your help so far!

That should make your search much easier. The only problem you may now have is that since I think you have an AM radio, you won't have the speakers nor the provision for a stereo. You'll now also need the correct panels for the stereo speakers.

Here's a couple of links to brochures for your car:

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Chrysler_and_Imperial/1977_Chrysler/1977_Chrysler_Brochure

http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Chrysler_and_Imperial/1977_Chrysler/1977-Chrysler-Plymouth-Brochure

The owner's manual: http://www.oldcarbrochures.org/NA/Chrysler_and_Imperial/1977_Chrysler/1977_Chrysler_Owners_Manual

Blessings to you as well. :)