1971 Pontiac Pegasus Ferrari V12 powered Bill Mitchell toy

HistoryBuff

I was confused and thought this had a tamer GTC/4 wet sump engine but recent articles in Motor Trend Classic said its a Daytona 365GTB/4 engine with six downdrafts, and dry sump. So is the transaxle in the rear like a Daytona? I had thought this was Mitchell's private car and when he left GM, he kept it in his own garage but Motor Trend said it's in the GM Heritage Collection. My question is: was there ever a time it was for sale and what was it offered for? I know GM had a big sale of prototypes and show cars a few years ago but apparently it escaped that sale.

As far as how the car looks I find it an improvement over the stock Firebird but question the good taste of the metallic candy apple red paint and gold pinstriping. I understand it once had much more gold pinstriping but the designers at GM were embarassed it being shown that way and toned it down.

I knew Mitchell and had a ride in a couple of prototypes with him driving. He was a gearhead more than anyone in Detroit except maybe in later times Bob Lutz.