My wife's dad's and grandfather's cars, 1930

Landman

This is a photo we had developed from a negative we had found. Turns out it was taken in 1930 and shows my father-in-law's Whippet (What year?) and his dad's 1929 Chevrolet. According to my father-in-law, his dad's car was notorious for snapping rear axles.

post-59904-143142302059_thumb.jpg

I see the Chev is a landau sedan and is on wood wheels which were only an option that year - discs were standard.

I'm told by the guys on VCCA that in Canada the wood wheels were standard on closed cars, exactly the opposite of the US. Go figure. As well, Canadian cars had a nickel plated rad shell and US cars had an aluminum one.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a photo we had developed from a negative we had found. Turns out it was taken in 1930 and shows my father-in-law's Whippet (What year?) and his dad's 1929 Chevrolet. According to my father-in-law, his dad's car was notorious for snapping rear axles.

I've had at least 3 or 4 old timers... people who were driving 20s cars in the mid-30s, tell me that Chevrolets were notorious for breaking rear axles. One friend told me about breaking down on the way back to RI from trying out for the Boston Red Sox... this would have been around 1938. The rear axle broke but he was able to call his father who came up on the bus with the spare rear axle he kept in the garage. The father (he was a WWI vet, but was still alive, as this was 30 years ago) confirmed that and when I asked him how he happened to have a spare axle he said everyone with a Chevy kept them. I found that hard to believe until my mother told me the same thing about her father, who was no mechanic but whose first car was a 29 Chevy. Then, back in the 70s another friend bought a 29 Chevy coupe and we wondered why there was an extra rear axle in the boot.

People always attribute their low survival rate to the wood-framed bodies, which must be at least partly true, but I doubt I'd want a used car that you had to carry an extra axle for...

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)