Daniel E Cloud

JohnD1956

Hi all, does anyone know anything about a Daniel A Cloud Buick Dealership in Wisconsin? My son and his girlfriend picked this blanket up for Linda and I from a swap meet in Wisconsin. According to a limited search on the internet, there was such a Dealership but it may not exist today. Also in dating the item it appears more than one dealership received these woolen blankets in the 60's. So I'm wondering if this was a unique item to the dealership or if this was a dealership givaway? Any information appreciated.

img_6273_original.jpg

No idea on your question about the blanket, but you may want to google Cloud Buick murder in Appleton, Wi. and you will find out a bit about what happened. The dealership closed about 1996 when the owner retired.

The Fox Valley which encompasses Appleton is/was big on Buicks.

• 4 months later...

I was a Buick Factory Sales Rep who called on Cloud Buick from the mid 80s until just a couple years before they closed. Very fine people. Dan and his wife are both deceased now but his son Steve Cloud still lives in Appleton. My best guess would be that a personalized blanket like that with the dealer principal's name was made for a special event like a Packers Game.

Best regards,

Jeff Stork

I was a Buick Factory Sales Rep who called on Cloud Buick from the mid 80s until just a couple years before they closed. Very fine people. Dan and his wife are both deceased now but his son Steve Cloud still lives in Appleton. My best guess would be that a personalized blanket like that with the dealer principal's name was made for a special event like a Packers Game.

Best regards,

Jeff Stork

Thank you for taking the time to respond Jeff. I look at that Buick blanket often and wonder about it. It is a really nice piece. And I bet it would work well at a Packers game in the late fall/early winter. Certainly big enough for two people to use.

John,

Except that a Packer's Blanket would be Packer Yellow and green. I believe the University of Wisconsin colors are Red and White. I visualize a bunch of frat boys, and some girls in a Buick Touting Car on the way to or from a big game

John.

That shows how much I know about football. It also makes me think you have the right venue but the wrong era cause the blanket has a tri shield, which is a emblem from the early 60's. Also if it was a dealer promotion I might think it would have had the dealership name, not Daniels. Oh well, no big deal. Just another unsolved mystery.

It also makes me think you have the right venue but the wrong era cause the blanket has a tri shield, which is a emblem from the early 60's. Also if it was a dealer promotion I might think it would have had the dealership name, not Daniels. Oh well, no big deal. Just another unsolved mystery.

1) The tri-shield is still in use for the 2014 Buick. It's part of David Dunbar Buick's family crest. It will probably be used in one form or another for as long as there are Buicks.

2) I would think that if the dealership was "Daniel Cloud Buick" then what is embroidered on the blanket pretty well covers everything.

My .02

I believe we are over thinking this. Putting my "Sherlock Holmes" hat on I would say this;

Dealership's name is Cloud Buick

Owner's name is Daniel Cloud

He is a Badger fan [Red and White blanket]

If you look at the tri shield you will see stitching that is not "perfect" which leads me to believe that it was a "one only" and a hand made gift from a family owner to Daniel.

After all what do you get a guy who as he ages pretty much has everything he needs or buys what he wants when he needs it?

I am surprised that if I am correct that the blanket ended up in a flea market...

I appreciate the input and think it's fun to speculate about this trinket. As a side note I looked up the blanket manufacturer but discovered the President of the Horner Woolen Mills passed on June 11, 2012, and the business ceased operations. I am inclined to buy into Daves89 theory above. It is sad the blanket wound up in a flea market, although as I recall, it was an automotive flea market.

• 6 months later...

I stumbled upon this forum and was very happy to see that memorabilia bearing my Dad's name was the subject of discussion. Cloud Buick used many promotional items throughout the years (the Cloud Buick cheese crock is my favorite). Unfortunately, however, I do not have any specific information regarding the blanket, yet. As Jeff (PSAutomobilist) mentioned in the thread, my brother Steve still lives in Appleton, WI and I am checking with him. In the meantime, would you have any interest in parting with the blanket?

I stumbled upon this forum and was very happy to see that memorabilia bearing my Dad's name was the subject of discussion. Cloud Buick used many promotional items throughout the years (the Cloud Buick cheese crock is my favorite). Unfortunately, however, I do not have any specific information regarding the blanket, yet. As Jeff (PSAutomobilist) mentioned in the thread, my brother Steve still lives in Appleton, WI and I am checking with him. In the meantime, would you have any interest in parting with the blanket?

Wow, I'm glad you saw this thread. Please contact me at jdefiore@nycap.rr.com

.....I believe the University of Wisconsin colors are Red and White.....

Our grandson's roommate at the U of W is a cheese curd/bratwurst vendor at Camp Randall Stadium. I'll ask him to ask him to keep an eye out for another blanket like that when the MN Gophers play (upset?) the Badgers on the 29th this month. :cool:

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Guest my3buicks

I have seen other blankets like that on eBay - I can't say if they were other dealerships or from this one, but there are others like it.

• 1 month later...

It has been quite a journey since I stumbled upon this forum back in November. JohnD1956 was kind enough to provide his email and we have been communicating ever since. Because both my Dad & Mom passed away last year, I thought that the blanket would make a perfect Christmas gift for the family. So, I rather bluntly asked if he would be willing to sell it. As you may recall, JohnD1956 received the blanket as a gift from his son. Despite this and his obvious interest in the blanket, he refused to accept a penny and sent it to me right away! It's impossible to overestimate the goodness of people.

It was very emotional when the gift was opened on Christmas morning. But, the blanket then sparked great old stories about Dad, Mom and Cloud Buick for hours on end.

post-104520-143142939051_thumb.jpg

On a quest to discover the origin of the blanket, I spoke to family, former employees and several other Buick Dealers. All agree that the blanket was not part of a customer appreciation give-away. Dad was not the type to emblazon his name on something presented to customers. Unfortunately, no one was able to identify the exact origin of the blanket. However, I can safely say that it was likely presented to Dad as part of a factory or zone incentive award. Based on the Tri-Shield, my brother estimates that the award was presented in the mid-1960's. My college roommate's Dad, a past NADA National President, was a Buick Dealer during that time in Southern California and does not recall ever seeing anything similar. So, it seems likely that the award was something which the Milwaukee Zone came up with for local dealers.

One theory kicked around was that the blanket was presented to Dad during one of his overseas Buick incentive trips. However, based on size and weight, this doesn't seem plausible in light of packing issues. Instead, it was likely part of a local incentive award. Based on the colors, several posters to this board might just be right that the blanket was part of a Wisconsin Badgers football game incentive award. I looked through old photos while home at Christmas hoping to find a picture of Dad & Mom sprawled out on the blanket at a tailgate party, but no such luck.

In short, I have not yet identified the exact origin of the blanket. But it sure has been fun trying! And my attempts will not end here. I carry a picture of the blanket on my phone and show it to anyone even remotely associated with the automotive industry. Hopefully, someday we'll hit the jackpot.

We have no idea how the blanket ended up at a swap meet, but assume that Dad & Mom parted with it when they downsized into assisted living. Thanks to JohnD1956, his wife and son, our family has now been reunited with this family treasure!

Guest BigDogDaddy

Wow, what a great story. I am glad to hear that the blanket is now back with your family and inspired so many great stories and memories for the family.

As you may recall, JohnD1956 received the blanket as a gift from his son. Despite this and his obvious interest in the blanket, he refused to accept a penny and sent it to me right away! It's impossible to overestimate the goodness of people.

I want to take this opportunity to nominate JohnD1956 for the 2015 BUICKMAN award ;).

Do I have a second ...........

GREAT thing you did John, it should make you and your entire family proud!!!

R

Edited by 37_Roadmaster_C
spelling (see edit history)

Hey there, All you 'al are too kind. Thanks for the Buickman nomination. While I appreciate the nod, I only did what everyone else on here would have done. I had a feeling that blanket was unique mostly cause of it's size and composition. And my son Justin ( who gave it to me) and I agreed it was important to reunite it with Scott and his family. I don't mind saying I had a tear in my eye when I first saw that picture of them holding the blanket on Christmas Day.

And Scott is an absolute gentleman too. He sent us a very nice Christmas Basket with lots of delicious Wisconsin goodies. And I am hoping to entice him and his brother and sister to join us for the Forum Breakfast in 2017 when we are in their neighborhood. Hopefully by then the origin story will be determined.

Thanks for the post Scott, and the very kind words.