how much does it cost to rebuild a 282 engine?

Guest General Lee

Guest General Lee

I am in for a rebuild and I can't seem to get anyone to commit time and material costs. The kit runs around $1300+ at Egge and Kanter. Does anyone have any recent experience on a total cost?

Bobhattler 9194992080

1940 1801

You can get an idea by phoning your local engine machine shop and asking their price to cook out the block, bore and hone cylinders, install new valve guides and do a valve job, turn the crank, install new cam bearings, check the head for flatness and plane if necessary, check rods for straightness, install new core plugs, and a few other operations I'm likely forgetting. Very likely the kits do not contain everything you need. Gasket set? Oil pump rebuild kit? Does the distributor need rebuilt? Fuel pump? water pump? Is the water distribution tube useable? Timing gears ok? Starter ring gear? Will that tired old starter be up to the task of spinning the rebuilt engine? Does the harmonic balancer need rebuilt? If you find someone to give you a firm price make darned sure they know what they are doing and that you know exactly what is included in their price. The Devil is in the details.