Front shock removal - help

Guest tvjake228

Guest tvjake228

I'm trying to remove the front shocks on my 1951 Buick Super Riviera Sedan and can seem to get the shock off. I've removed all the bolts (frame and fork) but cant get the rod out where the upper suspension connects to the forks.

How do I get this rod out?

post-97807-143142290509_thumb.jpg

Jake, it takes a 1/4 inch hex [allen] wrench. May be tight, but should come out.

Where do you have the car blocked? Needs to be blocked/ jacked under the spring. I like to set the frame rail on blocks or jack stands. Then with the jack under the spring or the bottom of the spindle support raise it just enough to START to raise the shock arm off the frame. Trying here to reduce/eliminate the the pressure on the pin.

Do you have a shop manual? If not, let me know and I will scan the page for this job.

Ben

Guest tvjake228

Oh, that would be great if you could scan the page! I have the car on jack stands and have my floor jack and a stand under the spring. I've taken the tension off the suspension so I've freed up the rod. I think I do have a 1/4 allen wrench. I have a manual but I don't think its a shop manual.

Thanks again!

Guest tvjake228
Okay, here goes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]224556[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]224557[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]224558[/ATTACH]

The grease zerk must be removed to access the allen fitting.

If these are not plain enough, let me know.

Ben

edit

third page should be first.

Excellent. It was the 1/4" allen wrench that I needed. I could not see that there is a hex hole at the end of the pivot pin because of all the grease on it. Removed the grease, put in the allen wrench and spun it out.

Thanks!

Guest shadetree77

Here is a link to the 1952 shop manual. It is offered online completely free there but feel free to make a donation as mentioned on the page. I know your car is a '51 but they are similar in a lot of aspects so having the '52 manual for free would be better than nothing! The '51 manuals are pretty common on EBAY and I highly suggest getting one ASAP. It will save you a lot of time and trouble. There's one on there now with an opening bid of $10. Good luck.

http://www.teambuick.com/reference/library/52_shop/

Don't know what year they changed over, but the '51 manual also has some body information in it - how to pull front seat, door latches, etc. Somewhere in the few years after that, the body stuff was pulled out of the shop manual, so the later shop manuals are what makes it go/stop/turn... The shop manual is very detailed - sometimes it's too much text & not enough pictures, but it's a heck of a lot better than trying to figure out what's buried under all that grease & dirt... Good luck w/ your project...

I'm also working on a '51 & a driver '55.