1957 T-Bird Body Frame

Guest Beauxgus

Guest Beauxgus

Can anyone tell me where to get a frame for an otherwise beautiful '57 T-Bird?

Any help will be appreciated. Also, where can I get an honest assessment as to the worth of this car in case I decide to sell it as is.

I plan to fully disclose all the frame details if I go that way with it. Would not consider selling it any other way. I got ripped off, I would not want cause that to happen to anyone else.

Thanks,

CMW

Hi Beauxgus,

What is the problem with the frame? It is possible to repair the frame if it isn't too far gone. Frames show up on ebay from time to time and they aren't super expensive (less that $1K). Are you sure that is all that is wrong underneath the car. Typically the inner rockers, braces, and floor plans are shot before the frame goes.

You need to give us more information about the car as it sits before we could give you an idea of cost. What engine size and options does it have? Posting some pictures would help.

Regards,

Guest Beauxgus

Thanks for your reply. The frame is toast, dust! Other parts are OK or so it seems. Not sure what else we will find once the body comes off but without a frame I can't proceed. It is not an original. Newer 302 engine with mustang transmission. All metal car with AC, Power steering, four wheel disc brakes and a new convertible top and the hard top. I don't have any pictures of the underside of the car. All I have is pictures that show a great looking car with a rotted frame covered with undercoating. Thanks again for your reply.

I take it you wanted a restomod car. This site mostly caters to people who want to keep their cars original. Is that what you want? The reason I ask is that if you replace the frame with another one you will have a car that the data plate and the frame serial number won't match. That will be a big deal if you are interested in originality, but probably not so much with a restomod car. As it turns out I know of a person that has a frame, data plate, and title for a '57 T-Bird. With this you can build a matching numbers car that would not have any title issues when the car changes hands in the future. Let me know if you are interested and I will put you in contact with him.

Regards,

Guest Beauxgus

I bought it from a friend that I was trying to help out. No good deed goes unpunished. It was already modified with bucket seats and a different motor/trans and other things before I got it. I just want a safe fun driver for a few years and then sell it. SAFE is the main thing. The current frame is not an option. It is gone! Yes I need a frame. Any frame. Please send me your friends contact information. Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest bigalmd

Beauxgus,

Check with the BabyBird companies that do restoration. They all have used parts, which can include even a donar car. CASCO, Hills and Prestige come to mind. I would mention Minter, but their prices are generally much higher than the others I've looked at. If you are a member of the Classicbirds group on Yahoo, there are several members that do restoration and have parts or know other sources. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/classicbirds/ Jerry Wotel Mailing list Owner.

Also, I have found that more detail, especially on contacts are provided if you list your City, State location. Just food for thought

Good luck on finding foundation for your restoration.

Al Herman

Columbia, MD

'56 Peacock

Hope this helps

Guest bigalmd

Beauxgus,

PS

Please be aware that the VIN number is stenciled into the frame. Depending on which state the car is registered in that may cause a problem on sale and registration if its frame doesn't match data plate. I remembered seeing an auction (I believe it was Connecticut on Chasing Classic Cars) where the State Police halted the auction, checked cars and found some cars where frames had been replaced and didn't have matching VIN # or VIN # in wrong location, wrong Font, etc. Those cars were pulled and the owners then had to meet the state's requirements to sell them. It then could be a problem with the buyer trying to register it.

Governments can sure mess up certain progress.

Good Luck,

Al Herman

Guest Beauxgus

Thanks to all that have offered advice and resources. I found a guy that repaired the frame and inspection by others has shown it to be a quality repair. Now I am on to getting the car rewired. Anyone know somebody in Houston that can re-wire a '57 Bird?

Many thanks.