correct oil for my new V-12

Waldren

I am receiving my completely rebuilt V-12 Saturday morning. Several people have mentioned that our new oil has no zinc and will destroy my motor. I Ran V-12's in the 60 and 70's but this is now. I feel like a beginner. Break in oil? I lived in Ohio and ran 30w in the summer and 20 in the fall and winter never multi blends. Any suggestions gladly accepted.

Lee Waldren

Ft. Myers, Fl.

Lee, I wouldn't worry too much about the modern oil with reduced zinc (ZDDP) content. The valve train on the V12 is not "loaded" heavy enough to require oil with large zinc content. You can use oils such as Brad Penn which do have big doses of ZDDP or some oils designated for diesel engines if you want. A fresh V12 should be able to use a good quality 10-40 and maintain good oil pressure.

If you don't mind telling....where did you send your motor and ballpark cost of rebuild? Ran a compression test on mine yesterday and things don't look so good.

I run Brad Penn in all my flat tappet motors. Toasted a fresh rebuilt stovebolt six several years ago with modern oil before I found out about ZDDP. With what these motors cost...cheap insurance.