Heater fan issue

torry61

The heater/AC fan on my 68 Newport runs at what seems to me a low speed even on hi. It takes forever to cool the car, (factory air) I've replaced the fan with what is supposed to be OEM & the switch. I seem to remember Chrysler getting a lot of flack for the low fan speeds pre mid 70's when they brought out the Cordova and made a big thing out of the blower speed in their commercials. Is there a faster turning fan out there?.

When you had the fan out did you clean the dirt out of the fins? This can make a surprising difference. I have cleaned the fans on old cars and doubled the air flow or so it seemed. Also be sure the ducts are clean. On old cars they often have mouse nests.

I have a 66 Dodge and have owned Chrysler products from the fifties on up and don't recall any problem with the fans.

Guest Wayfarer

Does the fan 'noise' change when you switch to a different speed? If the actual fan rpm does not change then you should check the resistor that is usually mounted in/on the ductwork or near/on the fan motor housing.