Dead 331

torry61

The 331 CID on my 56 Windsor has an issue, it won't start! It has been gone over by two different mechanics plus myself. Distributer, coil, plugs, several sets of points, fuel pump, carb, all replaced. Gas is fresh. Timing was checked by pulling #1 plug & aligning timing marks with piston at TDC.

Of note: Engine will crank smoothly by jumping starter relay, but will "bog down" while cranking from ignition switch.?????????

Any thoughts?

You need a competent mechanic. I would have it running in 2 hours - or know why it wouldn't.

Countrytraveler is right. Compression, spark, and gas. If an engine has those, all happening at the right time, it will run. It has no choice.

I'm not going to waste my time telling you all 1001 different things that could be wrong. Start by getting the engine turning over. Then make sure you have a good spark, happening at the right time. Then try a little gas down the carb and see if it fires. That is what I always do.

Of note: Engine will crank smoothly by jumping starter relay, but will "bog down" while cranking from ignition switch.?????????

Any thoughts?

This part puzzles me. Was the ignition switched turned on when you jumped the starter relay? By "bogs down" cranking off ignition switch, do you mean it works hard to simply crank it over? If jumpered to crank and the ignition was not on allowed it to spin over nicely but bogged with key on seems to suggest timing way too advanced asssuming that the distributor is installed and wired correctly. I don't assume that but you gotta start somewhere. I also presume that you have verified spark at plugs and fuel wetting plugs.