New project: 1954 Mercury Sun Valley... doubts on numbers, color, parts...

Hi all:

I just got myself a new project with which I am very excited: a 1954 Mercury Sun Valley.

My car was originally assembled in Mexico (it has the MEX letters in the VIN) and it has it's original invoice.

First of all, I would love to check where can I find a chassis number and engine number in the car, to check that they correspond to the papers I have.

Second, I would like to know about colors: I have read that Sun Valleys were supplied in two tone Green or in yellow body and Green top. My invoice states my car was White body and Green top. It was sold in March 1954, so I am guessing it is a rather late car. Would the color had to do with being a Mexican car or probably because it was a late model?

Third, in case anybody might have some spare parts to sell, I need many of them, but at least: carburetor, air cleaner, plexiglass top, mouldings for the top (yes, I only have a hole now), fender skirts, mercomatic emblem and the rest of the emblems.

Thanks,

victor

• 1 year later...
Guest 54MercMan

If you are trying to find the VIN # and body specific numbers, of course it should be on the driver's side door opening that adjoins the front cowl. But since you are asking, I am assuming it is missing there. I have a 54 Merc and there is a corresponding VIN# on the frame in three places. All of these are located on the top side of the frame, so may be hard to get to. One is on the passenger side cross member next to the engine. Another one is on the rear cross member that aligns with the rear bumper. There is another one, but I don't recall its location.

Also you probably know that from the body specific number, you can also track the color combination of this car.

I am restoring a 2 door hardtop - not a glass top. I know it just takes a while to track down the parts. My car is in the Green and yosimite yellow combination that the glasstops had also.

Jim

I just saw how old this post was. Sorry..maybe this guy doesn't need this now, but maybe it will heip someone. Jim

Jim:

Yes, very old post, but your response helps a lot.

At this point, we dismantled everything the car had, scraped chassis and mechanical components, did body work and painted everything and now the body is back in the chassis ready to be assembled, but that may take some time as I do have several projects going on.

As for colors, no, I didn't know you could find out from the body number you could track the colors. That would be very interesting. Can you tell me how or where to find out?

According to the original invoice the car was white and green, but I always thought white body and green top, but found out when scrapping that it was the opposite way around, a dark green metallic body with a white top. I honestly didn't like the combination, so I went for the typical light green and dark green top... don't recall the names, but we did them as close to original as possible.

I still need to find the top´s trim or better say, the Sun Valley specific trim, which in my case was all lost, all the trim, but I got a Monterey parts car for the majority of the missing parts.

Thanks again for your help,

victor

post-31812-143142974289_thumb.jpg

Guest 54MercMan

Victor,

Good to be in touch with another 54 merc guy. I like those colors you settled with on your car. - About the body #, you can find the color combo only from the "Body Specific" number/code. Is this the "option" that was not stamped on your car? The VIN # (as you probably know, just tells you where, when (month, and day), and in what assembly order it was built. If you do have the body specific info. then I'll go into more detail, or I can let you know how the decode works.

On my car, I have the engine and trans. overhauled and back on the newly painted frame. I've done the suspension and brake work too. I'm now working on refurbishing the distributor and generator. I've got the body off and this spring/summer will get it blasted and painted.

Jim

Yes, Jim. The Body specific info is what was left blank on my plate. I bought a 1954 Monterey hardtop for parts and it is the same way, with no info stamped there, so apparently it was common practice down here not to mark that space. My original invoice only states the car has deluxe equipment, whatever that is. Practically speaking, it has the deluxe steering wheel, radio and that's it. Not even heater! That is exactly the same case for the Monterey hardtop.

Guest 54MercMan

I just looked up some Sun Valleys and one of the colors was white over dark green, so maybe yours was authenic with those colors too.

Sounds like you don't need a heater there! Sure not the case here in Iowa this time of year. It is 10 degrees out there now and it is in the afternoon!

I found an air cleaner for mine on the internet (Ebay) along with the teapot carb. It may take a while to wait for things to come up though unless someone sees your post here. Keeps us posted though. I'll send some pictures when I get mine painted. -Jim