letter from Hulon McCraw about judging form

32tatra

Got a letter today about the new info that AACA wants on the judging forms. I understand what they want added to the judging form. I just thing they have to make the judging forms, bigger. A lot of people do not have good handwriting and to adding little letters to these forms is going to be a pain in the neck and very hard to read.

My husband had a great suggestion about the forms which I sent on to Hulon. He thinks it is a good idea, but is not confident that many of the judges would want to switch to it. He said that many of the forms are not done the way they are supposed to be done as it is.

Bill's idea was to put vertical or slightly slanted line to make the one large space into smaller but equal sized spaces on lines where there is more than one component. Then the judge would only have to put the number of the deduction in the space that matches the component. So using Hulon's example of Tape /Tubing / Terminals on the Engine judging sheet, it would be 2 / 0 / 1 for Tape 2 Tubing 0 and Terminals 1. Rather than 2TA 1TE. Seems simple and straightforward.

And truthfully the 2TA 1TE is not new info. It has been going on for a year or two at least. But judges are not doing it. That is why he went to the effort to send the letter out. And the circling the component on the vehicle's judging sheet is not new either. Those two things go hand in hand.

Judges honestly need to be listening to the instructions at each meet rather than talking. Things can and do change from one meet to the next. But if people are chatting and not listening it does two things: they don't know the changes and they can be loud enough (as the people at the table across from where our team was sitting at Hershey were) making it impossible for others that want to listen to be able to hear.