Saddam Hussein's Mercedes 500K, Erdmann & Rossi

HistoryBuff

I thought I knew what was happening with this car which was ex-King Ghazi of Iraq. Supposedly grabbed by Saddam Hussein out of the Royal Museum and then sent by his relative, King of Jordan, to Germany for restoration. Then the trail gets murky as a replica body was made there and put on another 1930s mercedes platform. I believe the original, once restored, and the replica, were both painted silver and one of them has been showing up at recent old car events such as the 2013 St. James concours in London. My question is: even though OCTANE magazine identified the silver 500K Erdmann & Rossi two seater as the ex-King Ghazi car, was it the real one or the replica? Also does anyone know what the chassis number of the real ex-King Ghazi car was? I have seen the engine number and special order number but no chassis number reprinted anywhere.

And does everyone agree the real Erdmann & Rossi Special roadster 500K is back in Iraq? That's the problem with replicas, you start mistaking them for the real thing...

• 3 weeks later...

I know there was a second Mercedes with the same body done before the war. What happened was that before WWII, King Ghazi, then a young lad, attended an auto show and wanted that Mercedes, fully spatted, on the display stand , a car done by Erdmann & Rossi but Mercedes representatives said "That one is accounted for but don't worry, we can get you the same body but with a 500K chassis" so he waited for it and got that. But the irony is he was killed a few years later in an accident, first I heard in an Alfa Romeo and then I heard he was in a limo and the brakes failed, (with a little help from whatever conspiracy theorists want to paint as the villain) So there are basically three cars with this body style, two by Erdmann & Rossi done prewar and one replica body done postwar

I can't provide anything to back this up other than recollection from several articles and events over the last few years but it is my belief that the Saddam car is presently in a museum in Iraq and the Jordan "replica" is the car we see today on the show fields.