Mystery Solved Re: 1912 Peerless

jeff_a

Back in 2007, I took a trip to Canada and heard of a museum not too many Americans are aware of, the Western Development Museum of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The museum has a few cars, including a stunning 1912 Peerless. The photo of this blue Model 48-Six limousine is on Wikipedia's entry for Peerless.

I wrote the Collections Curator to learn more. I received some info in response to the data search I request on many Peerlesses, including the image side of a postcard showing the Peerless and some mention of it having less than 100 miles on the odometer. I always wondered why the low mileage.

Yesterday I found an example of the same postcard for sale on eBay and was able to look at the text side and it said the museum had 250 cars, the Peerless had a delivery price of approximately $8,000 and "This limousine was ordered, but not accepted by Senator Lougheed of Calgary. Bought by F. Cotticutt, Crossfield, Alberta. This vehicle was rarely driven and had not exceeded 100 miles when acquired by the museum."

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

The first owner's real name was Frank H. Collicutt, 1877-1964. Major misspelling on the 1960s postcard. He owned one of the largest herds of purebred Herefords in North America, had extensive holdings when prices boomed at over $60 a head in WWI, and made news when he paid as much as $11,000 and $20,000 apiece for Hereford bulls about 100 years ago. Earned an honorary doctorate for his work in agriculture.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)