Class 5E Clarification

Guest Rickat

What is considered a "small tire" for this class? Would a last year constructed 1987 Honda ATV with factory 10" dia wheels be considered or would this fall into another class? Mini bikes are classed and an ATV is another form of these off road vehicles.

ATV's are not acceptable in this or any other class. The current definition in our judging guideline is acceptable for highway use (exception with race cars). We recognize that certain vehicles in the past were accepted but our judging criteria is constantly under review and results in change from time to time.

Edited by Steve Moskowitz (see edit history)

Section 1, page 1, #3 (also repeated on p. 61)

"specifically designed and manufactured for transportation use on public roadways and highways." Agree or not, that's what the rule book says as general policy.

5E wouldn't have been the correct class anyway. Class 5E is the Cushman Eagle class through 1965. Your '87 Honda would have been a 5G vehicle but you still have the "transportation use on public roadways and highways" issue that keeps the vehicle from qualifying for AACA judging at all.

That said, there are quite a few "vehicles" in classes like 5F and 5G that were not ever designed for transportation use on public roadways and highways that have been judged and have won awards, some of them as recently as Hershey. Those classes are kind of the red-headed stepchild classes anyway (though they are of tremendous interest to me) so they get almost completely overlooked by the general membership and few ever really notice what's going on in those classes at all. There have been some great vehicles that have won, but if this rule is really going to be a sticking point, someone should look at what those vehicles are. A public roadway / highway legal Argyle or Skat Kitty? Doubtful.

"We recognize that certain vehicles in the past were accepted but our judging criteria is constantly under review and results in change from time to time."

"Someone" did look at those vehicles which is the reason for the statement you posted above. The club cannot undue the past as it would not be fair to our members but going forward our evolving judging system tries to ensure we are pointed in the right direction. Not always an easy task as we have members who wish we would have farm tractors, ATV's, kit cars, etc. in our judging system.

"Someone" did look at those vehicles which is the reason for the statement you posted above. The club cannot undue the past as it would not be fair to our members but going forward our evolving judging system tries to ensure we are pointed in the right direction. Not always an easy task as we have members who wish we would have farm tractors, ATV's, kit cars, etc. in our judging system.

Understood.

My comments were not intended to be inflammatory. I was just pointing out that some of the judging and awarding of vehicles that were not public roadway or highway legal had happened very recently. If things are changing or have changed since then, so be it, and I'm interested in hearing about it. I'm sure not upset about it and didn't intend to upset anyone else.