Starting a v12 thats been sitting for 45 Years

Guest Rick Evans

Guest Rick Evans

I put a couple of teaspoons of Marvel mystery oil down each cylinder and can turn the motor by hand. I read on another site that in order to keep the motor from scoring from not having oil, I should solder fitting to bottom of a coffee can, run line to rear plug on block, let the last two of quarts of oil trickle in that way just before fire up. or as an alternative method i could also use pressurized container or external pump to blow oil in via one of the plugs at back. It wasn't exactly clear which plug in the back I should pump oil to. A picture would be nice if anyone has one. (Can I just add the oil the filter? it has a line that goes to the back of the motor)

Ive installed new whitewalls, rebuilt the master cylinder, new wheel cylinders, bled the brakes, rebuilt the carburetor, rebuilt the fuel pump, changed the hoses flushed and refilled the radiator, spark plugs, changed oil and filter, sent the coil out to Skip Haney for a rebuild. Am I missing anything else before I light this candle?

You didn't mention the gas tank or fuel line? Any rig sitting this long may have an accumulation of crude/rust in the tank.

There's no need to dribble in oil thru the top fitting (oil filter line). Change the oil and with all the plugs removed turn the engine over with the starter for about 20 seconds...this will "pre-lube" all the bearings.

Edited by peecher (see edit history)

I suggest that you drop the oil pan and clean it out really well. Also, clean out any tubes or passages that lubricate the main bearings. Sludge that sits in the pan that long can be thick enough that pressurized oil still wont pass through and lube the bearings. My engine was ruined by a previous owner who started it after it sat for a long time.