1946 V-12 Electrical? HELP

Guest TylerSmith

Guest TylerSmith

Hello this is my first time posting to this forum I have 1946 Lincoln Zephyr V-12. From what I can see it looks to lightly restored the story my mother got when she bought the car in 02 was it was in a family in Canada since it was new. The engine was rebuilt prior to her buying it. The car has always had an issue that when the engine gets warm it looses power and if it stalls it will not restart (seems to crank at normal speed) when it would cool down it would fire right up and each time it would shut down it would go a little farther. My grandfather had the car at the time and as he isn't much of a mechanic they came to the consensus that it was a problem with the coil. I don't know if they bought a new coil or sent it out to be gone over. When my grandfather couldn't use the clutch anymore it came back to my mothers house and as it isn't very reliable it didn't leave the garage for about 3 years so I trailered the car to my house and I got it running it is definitely firing on all 12 cylinders. A friend of mine and I dug the car out today to play with it and we cleaned all of the spark plugs as the car didn't have any power. Then we decided to pull the carb off any clean it. So we pulled the carb all apart and cleaned everything. When we got the car back together we took it for a ride and it ran great so we bring it back to the shop and started playing with a brake light issue. We go to take the car out about an hour later and it wouldn't get out of it's own way. I got about a 1/2 mile away and it stalled and wouldn't restart so my friend goes to get his truck and we pull start it, it fires right up but still has no power I had to floor it just to be able to let the clutch out. I get it back in the garage we still can't get it to start so I come in the house to eat after about 3 hours I go out and the car starts right up but I'm to afraid to take it out now. I am a 25 year old diesel mechanic I have some experience with older engine but when it comes to this thing I have no idea where to even start. Any directions will be greatly appreciated.

HI welcome to the site. There are plenty of helpful people so it shouldn't be a problem to get it fixed. Did you check for power at the coil when it wouldn't start? If it has power there then check for spark at the plug wires one or two of them. Also you take off the air cleaner and operate the gas pedal or rod to the carb and see if you fuel being sprayed into the carb. Lets us know what you find out. George

Guest 65Starfire

Check the fuel side is the car getting fuel when hot. Vapor lack from a worn push rod or bad fuel pump from the ETOH in the gas?

Guest TylerSmith

The carb is still getting fuel when it dies and i did not check for spark i will try to heat it up again today. I've pretty much ruled out vapor lock, as yesterday i doubt it made it to operating temp before it died.

Any number of things can be the culprit but in this case I suspect the distributor. "Losing power" can mean one bank of cylinders is losing ignition. A bad condensor,coil or even the points can be at fault. I suggest you remove the distributor/coil and send it to Jake Fleming (see "sources" at this site) for a check and repair. I've had a case where one set of points would stick slightly open intermittedly, losing ignition to one whole bank of cylinders.

• 10 months later...