Squealing brakes

tgryphon

Are there any tricks anyone can pass on about how to stop an external contracting (band) brake from squealing? My 1902 White is terrible. It has a single band brake on the chain-driven differential. The lining (Scan-Pac GGW) and drum (cast iron) were replaced last year and all was fine then, but now this year the brake makes a horrible racket.

Did you bevel the leading and trailing ends of the lining material? It usually helps to stop a curl from forming due to wear. You want to friction surface to be shorter than the surface that is against a pad or shoe or in your case band. A 45 degree angle is not needed but 60 degrees may do the trick.

Did you bevel the leading and trailing ends of the lining material? It usually helps to stop a curl from forming due to wear. You want to friction surface to be shorter than the surface that is against a pad or shoe or in your case band. A 45 degree angle is not needed but 60 degrees may do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestion...I'll try that. Has anyone tried putting a couple of diagonal score lines across the lining? I thought that might change tendency toward squealing, though for the better or not, I don't know.