1927 REO Firetruck Engine Question

Guest Memphisdoug

Guest Memphisdoug

I just purchased a barn fresh 1927 REO firetruck. It has a T6 engine in it (the 1st version I believe since it has a chain drive starter). The carb is missing from the engine and I have no chance of finding out where it went since the owner died years ago. What should I be looking for as a replacement carb? I would like to get what belongs there so that it matches up with the stock linkages.

The radiator cap is also missing and I am looking for one of those too.

This truck hasn't run in decades. The engine does turn over with the hand crank so I am hopeful that getting it running won't be too difficult. Is there anything in particular with this engine that I should be watching for?

Thanks for any help.

I just purchased a barn fresh 1927 REO firetruck. It has a T6 engine in it (the 1st version I believe since it has a chain drive starter). The carb is missing from the engine and I have no chance of finding out where it went since the owner died years ago. What should I be looking for as a replacement carb? I would like to get what belongs there so that it matches up with the stock linkages.

Thanks for any help.

The truck probably came with a Schebler of some description. I have always found it ironic that Schebler went after the firetruck market; there would always be a fireman present to put out the fire caused by the leaky Schebler!!!:P

As to replacement carburetors:

There are several things to consider:

(1) physical size (center to center spacing on bolt holes).

(2) straight (line drawn between mounting bolts goes bumper to bumper) or cross (same line goes fender to fender) flange. An adapter can normally be machined.

(3) matching the flow capability of the carburetor to the airflow requirement of the engine.

Once these criteria are met; then the issue becomes how good a carburetor do you wish, and what is your budget.

Lots of carbs out there. Of the universal replacements, I (opinion, others will differ) consider (in alphabetic order) Carter, Stromberg, and Zenith to be acceptable.

Jon.