1921 9B Touring

joeyo518

Hey guys and gals

I am trying to help out a family member. He has a 1921 9B Touring. As far as i know its all original except it was painted 15+ years ago. He might be looking to sell this car. Can anyone give me any info or point me in the right direction to find out the value of this car and how rare/collectable it is? Any info would greatly help us.

Thanks

Pictures would really help. Franklins were excellent cars, but they don't bring premium prices, as the styling isn't admired by all. I believe the 1921 would have what they call the "horse collar" hood. Ballpark without even seeing pictures, so quite a WAG, is somewhere in the teens for value.

Nice looking car. Would make a great tour car for someone. From what I've seen of Franklin prices, I think it's a $12,000 car (nope, see Steve's post, I'm low)..., maybe a little more to the right person, maybe a little less if you're antsy to sell..... Again, this is just an estimate, someone might disagree.....Is it running? If so, how well (Franklins make a little noise first starting, due to air cooled and higher running temps, so things have to be set up loose to start with). Burns oil? How old are tires? I can see top has a couple of issues, but actually not bad and could be fixed. Interior, cushions presentable? Original leather or recovered? Mileage is great if original, but some corrosion on bezel, any other corrosion on car (think this is aluminum body, so corrosion can be a big issue)....

Hope you find it a good home, I owned a 1917 touring and miss it....

Edited by trimacar (see edit history)

Nice looking car. Would make a great tour car for someone. From what I've seen of Franklin prices, I think it's a $12,000 car (nope, see Steve's post, I'm low)..., maybe a little more to the right person, maybe a little less if you're antsy to sell..... Again, this is just an estimate, someone might disagree.....Is it running? If so, how well (Franklins make a little noise first starting, due to air cooled and higher running temps, so things have to be set up loose to start with). Burns oil? How old are tires? I can see top has a couple of issues, but actually not bad and could be fixed. Interior, cushions presentable? Original leather or recovered? Mileage is great if original, but some corrosion on bezel, any other corrosion on car (think this is aluminum body, so corrosion can be a big issue)....

Hope you find it a good home, I owned a 1917 touring and miss it....

It was running the last time he parked it. It's been a few years. Tires look good and are a reproduction tire i believe from looking at them. Top is original, wood looks good but top does have a small rip in it. Interior is original leather but is cracked. Body looks perfect

I am the happy owner of a 1921 9B touring and just love the car. It's extremely comfortable and very easy to drive (considering you really don't have any brakes). Here's my advice on selling the car:

1. Don't put any money into paint or upholstery. You won't get that money back and an original or old restoration is what lots of people are looking for.

2. Put money into getting the engine to run properly. Not a rebuild - just get it to run well. These cars are a joy to drive and anyone taking a test drive will be hooked. I'll bet a Franklin Club member would help sort out your car. Depending where you live, you may get a few. Whatever they charge, it would be far less than taking your car to a restoration mechanic who has never worked on Franklin engines. If you are lucky, someone may have changed the ignition system over to a Chevy 6 (sorry for the heresy, Odyssey).

3. Guesstimate on price depends upon engine condition. I'd say between $15-20K, but I'm prejudiced.

4. Advertise on this forum here and the Franklin Club website (http://www.franklincar.org).

Good luck and keep us informed.

I am the happy owner of a 1921 9B touring and just love the car. It's extremely comfortable and very easy to drive (considering you really don't have any brakes). Here's my advice on selling the car:

1. Don't put any money into paint or upholstery. You won't get that money back and an original or old restoration is what lots of people are looking for.

2. Put money into getting the engine to run properly. Not a rebuild - just get it to run well. These cars are a joy to drive and anyone taking a test drive will be hooked. I'll bet a Franklin Club member would help sort out your car. Depending where you live, you may get a few. Whatever they charge, it would be far less than taking your car to a restoration mechanic who has never worked on Franklin engines. If you are lucky, someone may have changed the ignition system over to a Chevy 6 (sorry for the heresy, Odyssey).

3. Guesstimate on price depends upon engine condition. I'd say between $15-20K, but I'm prejudiced.

4. Advertise on this forum here and the Franklin Club website (http://www.franklincar.org).

Good luck and keep us informed.

Im also interested in purchasing the car,I am only about 2 hours from Albany .

My email address is frankbv@yahoo.com

Frank