1929 Stutz on Ebay

JO BO

• 1 month later...

Just thought that I would put my two cents in. I have bought many classic cars over the years. I do not know if the car in question is a good car or is being sold for a good price. Comparing classic and antique cars and prices is like comparing apples and oranges. Every car is different. There are no two alike. The value of any classic car is one of the most difficult things to establish. But it is a question that comes up in topics on all collector car sites. The simple answer is that it is worth what a buyer is willing to buy it for vs. what a seller is willing to sell for. Books and websites that are written for the purpose of estimating value are not etched in stone and are only for reference. Why is it that you see "selling for less than" a certain guide or a recent appraisal in many for sale ads? Just because a car sold today for a certain price does not necessarily mean that the it could be sold again for the same price. It could sell for more or less depending on many factors. I think where most people miss the boat is when they see a car that they like, they just sit on the sidelines and do not make an offer. I am not sure why that is. Common classic cars are one thing. If you miss it, there will be another tomorrow. With a rare car such as a Stutz, Auburn, Cord, Packard, etc, if you miss it, you may never have an opportunity to buy again. All to often sellers ask more than what the market will bear. If a seller is non negotiable and has a firm price, make an offer anyway and leave contact information with the seller. Call back every month or two and show an interest. You may be surprised. Sellers sometimes come to their senses and face reality. If they really want to sell a car, they will eventually figure out what the market price is for their car. As a buyer, establish your maximum price and try to be realistic. The simple answer is a car sells for what it is worth. Know what you are buying and know what needs to be done to the car. Know what expenses you will have after the purchase. Every once in awhile you "just have to go for it". Get involved in the hobby, buy a car and have fun.

• 1 month later...