fersh pile of titles just in................

Guest oldfart
Isn't buying & selling titles to cars that no longer exist so they can be used for cars that don't have titles illegal?

I am a collector and have about 100 titles.I sell them as collectables.Of course I want to share/sell them to other collectors,but what the buyers do with them is up to them.It is NOT illegal to buy & sell them.

• 11 months later...
Guest jerry1016
30's-50's

truck,panel, conv, coupe, coach, 4 dr, 2 dr, wagon, etc.

ford chevy lasalle, mercury, packard,buick, nash, willys, etc. etc.

99.00 and up.............................

rdz69@aol.com

looking for a title for 1947 Ford COE

Careful, boys. I commented on the legality and the morality of retitling vehicles with purchased titles and my comments were deleted by the mods. It seems they would rather place the club in jeopardy of being complicit in the commission of a felony, than to disallow the sale of titles on this board. eBay and the HAMB do not allow it, for that very reason

• 1 month later...
Careful, boys. I commented on the legality and the morality of retitling vehicles with purchased titles and my comments were deleted by the mods. It seems they would rather place the club in jeopardy of being complicit in the commission of a felony, than to disallow the sale of titles on this board. eBay and the HAMB do not allow it, for that very reason

I have about every Chevrolet Convertible title from 1950 thru 1967. Been offered a lot for a few of them. They are all in binders. That is my collection. Definitely

not a felony!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest yellow36
I have about every Chevrolet Convertible title from 1950 thru 1967. Been offered a lot for a few of them. They are all in binders. That is my collection. Definitely

not a felony!

Do you have a 32 ford coupe? Mike mlstrand2@yahoo.com

To those who tell us that selling antique titles is illegal

(and who seem to go from thread to thread with such

statements):

DOCUMENT YOUR CLAIMS!

And as the law likely varies from state to state, please

be sure to indicate which state legislative code you are

quoting from; and give the section and paragraph.

And is there an exemption for antique titles?

If proven illegal in most states, then there's cause for

not allowing it on this forum. I believe that most hobbyists are

among the most upstanding citizens.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I think this is what is often referred to as a "gray area." It's probably not illegal to own, trade, or even sell the paper titles themselves. You won't find any statute that says, "We hereby decree that selling old car titles is punishable by 30 lashes in the town square."

However, unscrupulous people can and do use such things to commit fraud--wasn't there one victim of such a thing on this message board a few years ago? Someone who was in a court battle over a car because he had a bogus title and a previous owner came and claimed it through a DMV search or something? I can't recall.

Anyway, in my business, titles are a flat-out nightmare and I have experienced two cases where someone in the past obviously bought a car without a title, then "acquired" a title for a similar vehicle and used that title to register his car. In the old days, before computers and out-of-state VIN inspections, that was probably somewhat common. But when those two cars, which had been in Ohio for decades and therefore never needed a VIN inspection, came to me to be sold, I quickly realized that the titles were not valid by simply comparing the numbers on the paper and the numbers on the car. Someone, somewhere, sometime in the past committed fraud and it put the current owner's status in jeopardy. I could not sell a car with a title like that, as the new owner would unable to register his expensive new acquisition.

Worse yet are the implications: Was the car stolen? Was the paperwork simply lost? Did someone die? Will someone come and claim that car, either an insurance company that once paid a claim (happens frequently) or a descendant of the owner? Who knows? That's a big problem and left two of my clients with cars that were virtually unsellable unless they somehow sold it to a local buyer who wouldn't check numbers (thereby perpetuating the fraud). I won't be a part of that and there is no easy solution for the honest seller aside from a bonded title, which can be very expensive (the last one we helped with was $21 per $1000 of value on an $85,000 vehicle).

I can understand collecting such things, they can be interesting historical documents and sometimes the paper and printing itself is quite lovely. But fraud can and does happen with astonishing frequency and this is a fast, inexpensive, easy way to do it whereby the crime might not be discovered for a long time yet effectively renders a car worthless to a new owner (or worse, he loses it entirely). That's not cool and THAT is illegal.

• 2 weeks later...

Collect them like, key chains, pop bottles, beer cans, old cars, clocks, pocket watches , etc , etc.

I can go on but I hope you get the Idea.

I have a question while we are at it, why do people take a **** in the middle of other peoples threads when they have no vested interest?

Edited by Rp1967 (see edit history)