A rotting Pierce Arrow

Bleach

I found this sad photo of a rotting Pierce Arrow at the HAMB. It's whereabouts are unknown to the OP there. Perhaps someone out there may know more about it. It would be one heck of a project if it were even restorable. I'm sure there would be some usable parts at least.

IMG_9749.JPG

It's a 1930 Model B sedan. Enclosed is a photo of what it was like when new. Not too much to save there as far as parts go. I wouldn't even chase if for free if it were local. Looks like it was fairly well stripped in the old days. Passenger headlight flange is missing off the fender. Neat to see it. Thanks for posting the photo. ED

post-31625-143142255695_thumb.jpg

AARGGHH! That really hurts a Pierce guy.....interestingly, one of the most fragile of the components, that ring around the headlight (was made out of pot metal) is intact, on GOOD cars I've seen them broken! I do see a few good parts on it, would be worth saving what could be saved....anyone have a clue where it is?

Someone has a permanent ad in Hemmings saying they will buy ANY Pierce-Arrow. Wonder what they would say if someone rolled up to their office with this on a trailer? It might be helpful to have this photo in a judging manual to describe what "Condition #6 -" is.

AARGGHH! That really hurts a Pierce guy.....interestingly, one of the most fragile of the components, that ring around the headlight (was made out of pot metal) is intact, on GOOD cars I've seen them broken! I do see a few good parts on it, would be worth saving what could be saved....anyone have a clue where it is?

After some intuitive searching on the net, I have located it's resting place. It's located in the Walden Preserve in Salem, Connecticut.

I guess if it is in a preserve then I imagine it's there for good.

To me it looks a bit short to be a sedan. It looks more like it could be a Victoria.

8404159514_b15503f7f2_z.jpg

Most Pierce cars that are in barn find condition are not worth restoring. Bad wood or rusty tin and they are parts cars for sure. Ed

Many years ago I saw JB Nethetcutt's shop had a late teens or early 20's PA. It was nothing more than a frame, some suspension, possibly part of the engine and some remains of the body. They eventually restored it to back to a beautiful automobile.

• 9 months later...

When you have enough money you can do anything. If JB said restore it, you just asked what color. There was a guy in the HCCA Orange County, Ca. who built an early Packard from scratch, because there was none left, he just wanted to drive one, but he owned 1/2 of Irvine...

There are a few good parts, and none of the original rings I have found have been in one piece or remained in one piece with screws applied.

Model B, that explains why the head "fell off",,, higher compression........ some Pierce guy has been pilfering it when the Ranger wasn't looking.

Todd

I agree it is a cool picture, but the picture wasn't mine, if I had taken it there would be less parts on it..... most parts would fit my 1929 Pierce Arrow.

A friend (Randy Brooks) of mine always told me of a Pierce that was parked in a field, (same condition but 90 degrees different) he found it deer hunting outside of the north gate of Yosemite National part where he grew up. For years I heard that story, another friend (Paul, one of our three Amigos) went out with him to find it. Sure enough they found where it WAS........... with fresh tire tracks where the trailer had just hauled it off less then a week before (hard rained the week before). Life's Lesson: don't wait for someone else to haul off your prize, make time to claim it yourself.

I have no idea what happened to it, if it was parted or restored.

Todd

I love Ken's stuff...

Or it broke down on the way in or out and they took what they could carry, oh wait it's a Pierce, they don't break down... Ran out of gas and they couldn't find it again.

I know of people using Rolls Royce's to hunt in after they were 10-20 years old, they were just old cars. My friends 1911 Mitchel was grandpa's fishing car, it only left the barn to go fishing, it made it down to the backwood creek and back with its high clearance. They didn't have Jeeps yet.

One of the Bugatti Royals was bought at a used car lot after WWII for $1200. During the gas rationing The Royal would have ran out of gas waiting in line to get more gas stamps. So I guess it is all relative some day they will say "you WHAT" to some car we ran into a tree for fun when it was a junker. 25 years ago we pulled the engine and axles out of a 1965 ford station wagon, (we rolled it over to get the axles) drug it to the dump on the roof after shooting it 500+ times. My friend about cried when I told him, he had been looking for some trim pieces to finish his off for years, I guess it was rare(???). Now these kids are "restoring" 1990 MR2's...........

Todd

• 2 months later...

Or the occupants disappeared after the car was dumped off in the woods. Maybe we should look for Jimmy Hoffa near by.

I heard of an old farm in New York that cars with occupants were pushed off into Lake Ontario from the 1930 on... No Cement shoes required.

Why can't I stumble across an abandoned Duesenburg that was pushed off a hill in 1940, instead I just find old Landcruisers that died while hunting and rusted into the ground.