Recommended Peerless Book

OnSafari

OnSafari,

Thanks for dropping by at the Peerless Forum. Richard H. Lichtfeld wrote a 29-page booklet, The History of the Peerless Motor Car Company, in 2009. It wasn't commercially distributed and went to Peerless Motor Car Club members only.

Peerless Coffee Table Books: 0

Peerless Histories With Photos: 0

Finding an Antique Car Historian to Coach You On Peerless History: Priceless.

............................................................................................................................

All true....but don't give up. I'm glad you have an interest in PEERLESS. Have you seen one recently or gotten curious just from mentions of the firm in the motoring press long ago? Perhaps you saw the two Peerlesses at the Hershey Meet this year or the 1915 and 1929 examples there the two previous years. I stumbled upon a unique 1924 Peerless at a car lot in western Montana 7 years ago and began my current fascination then.

There are dozens of magazine articles about the marque, and some chapters about Peerless have appeared in books. This forum has a lot of data in it after 6 years and is book-length now. The most thorough book chapter I've read is Automobile Quarterly, Volume 11, No. 1, 1973, written by Maurice Hendry. It has a 32-pg piece covering the company from start to finish with great photography and even interviews of former employees. Copies of this 112-pg book are frequently FS on ebay. I got one for $10.00 postpaid. The American Automobile by Ralph Stein, 1971, has an 8-pg chapter in its 252 pages. Golden Wheels by Richard Wager has a longish section on Peerless, but I don't know how many pages(lent my copy out). The Standard Catalog Of American Cars by Kimes, Clark, Dinwoody, and Marvin, 1996, about 1,200 pp, has an 8-pg entry about Peerless with 30+ photos. I hope this is a good start!

Sincerely,

Jefferson M. Brown

Edited by jeff_a
another book (see edit history)

OnSafari,

Thanks for dropping by at the Peerless Forum. Richard H. Lichtfeld wrote a 29-page booklet, The History of the Peerless Motor Car Company, in 2009. It wasn't commercially distributed and went to Peerless Motor Car Club members only.

Peerless Coffee Table Books: 0

Peerless Histories With Photos: 0

Finding an Antique Car Historian to Coach You On Peerless History: Priceless.

............................................................................................................................

All true....but don't give up. I'm glad you have an interest in PEERLESS. Have you seen one recently or gotten curious just from mentions of the firm in the motoring press long ago? Perhaps you saw the two Peerlesses at the Hershey Meet this year or the 1915 and 1929 examples there the two previous years. I stumbled upon a unique 1924 Peerless at a car lot in western Montana 7 years ago and began my current fascination then.

There are dozens of magazine articles about the marque and some chapters have appeared in books. This forum has a lot of data in it after 6 years and is book-length now. The most thorough book chapter I've read is Automobile Quarterly, Volume 11, No. 1, 1973, written by Maurice Hendry. It has a 32-pg piece covering the company from start to finish with great photography and even interviews of former employees. Copies of this 112-pg book are frequently FS on ebay. I got one for $10.00 postpaid. The American Automobile by Ralph Stein, 1971, has an 8-pg chapter in its 252 pages. Golden Wheels by Richard Wager has a longish section on Peerless, but I don't know how many pages(lent my copy out). The Standard Catalog Of American Cars by Kimes, Clark, Dinwoody, and Marvin, 1996, about 1,200 pp, has an 8-pg entry about Peerless with 30+ photos. I hope this is a good start!

Sincerely,

Jefferson M. Brown

Thanks Jeff. Having been brought up on Packards, I'm interested to learn more about the "other" fine cars out there.

Cheers

Lyndon

Lyndon

Also consider purchasing original Peerless factory literature. This can be very rewarding. I suppose you were hoping for one all encompassing book, for maybe $50 or so. As Jeff notes, that isn't possible. But buying factory literature is fascinating. It gives one a true picture of the marketplace at the time, explains the cars features in period style and clearly you see Peerless as a luxury car manufacturer. Buying one from the teens, and a couple from the 20's you would see a progression in marketplace changes.