Brush "values"?

Guest WhatsaBrush?

Guest WhatsaBrush?

So, this is my first post here on the forum so be gentle! I own a 1911 Brush Model E Runabout. The car used to be my grandfathers, my Dad has passed it over to me about 3 years ago so I'm now the "caretaker" for the Brush. My grandfather purchased the vehicle when he as a young man up in Fairmont, WV. He eventually retired to FL and took the Brush with him. It sat in his garage until my Dad & I trailered it back to N. Alabama and Dad completed a 2 year, frame off restoration. We have heavy documentation, photos, manuals, etc for the history of the car. Now, my question is this - what is the average "value" of Brush's? I realize that many, many variables come into play in order to make an accurate estimation, but I'm just curious what the ballpark is for Brush's? I get asked all the time "what's it worth" and I really don't have any clue. Of course, to me it's priceless, but short of hiring an official appraiser to look at it? Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

James

I think your "priceless" value is the best by far. Brush sales and auction prices have varied widely over the past few years. Even on this website you could compare a couple of results. I get the same responses, "what's it worth", every time I open the garage door. It's a changing world out there and us older collectors might appreciate a brass era auto a lot differently than the younger generation. A Brush is unique in its wood construction and simple mechanics, but the value will appeal to a select few. The Edmiston (sp?) auction in Neb. a couple of years ago attracted buyers from all over the world and prices were higher than expected. Is this a good indicator, I don't know, but an appraiser might refer to the results. I know of sellers that put their cars on e-$$$, with such a high reserve, just to see what the market might be. I have an early Cadillac, that A. Brush designed the mechanicals for, and values are nuts on these also, if its any consolation. I would insure yours for a least what it would cost to replace it in restored condition. Other Brush owners and restorers might be able to share some thoughts.

Good luck, we all share the unknown.

Guest WhatsaBrush?
I think your "priceless" value is the best by far. Brush sales and auction prices have varied widely over the past few years. Even on this website you could compare a couple of results. I get the same responses, "what's it worth", every time I open the garage door. It's a changing world out there and us older collectors might appreciate a brass era auto a lot differently than the younger generation. A Brush is unique in its wood construction and simple mechanics, but the value will appeal to a select few. The Edmiston (sp?) auction in Neb. a couple of years ago attracted buyers from all over the world and prices were higher than expected. Is this a good indicator, I don't know, but an appraiser might refer to the results. I know of sellers that put their cars on e-$$$, with such a high reserve, just to see what the market might be. I have an early Cadillac, that A. Brush designed the mechanicals for, and values are nuts on these also, if its any consolation. I would insure yours for a least what it would cost to replace it in restored condition. Other Brush owners and restorers might be able to share some thoughts.

Good luck, we all share the unknown.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated.

Thanks James

I am a little curious. I have a 1911 model F and I notice that yours is an E model. Do you know what the difference might be? In your avatar picture it looks like your rear deck might be higher, more like a trunk, mine is lower and looks like a small pickup bed.

Thanks

Guest WhatsaBrush?
Thanks James

I am a little curious. I have a 1911 model F and I notice that yours is an E model. Do you know what the difference might be? In your avatar picture it looks like your rear deck might be higher, more like a trunk, mine is lower and looks like a small pickup bed.

Thanks

Sorry, not sure what the exact difference might be? A quick measurement shows the trunk height is 7". It has a hinged lid that opens to allow storage inside.

Thanks James.

I did find an ad for the 1911, E model, and for an extra $20.00 you could have a tool storage area (trunk I would assume) and a seat. Just one more thing. Did yours come with a Brush brass plate with serial #, model #, and separate Selden Patent Plate with #?

Thanks

Guest WhatsaBrush?
Thanks James.

I did find an ad for the 1911, E model, and for an extra $20.00 you could have a tool storage area (trunk I would assume) and a seat. Just one more thing. Did yours come with a Brush brass plate with serial #, model #, and separate Selden Patent Plate with #?

Thanks

It does have the brass plate with Model & Serial #, Model "E". Where would the separate "Selden Patent Plate" be located?

Some 1911's did not have a Selden Patent Plate, with registration number, due to the settlement of a challenging lawsuit by Henry Ford. My mid year '11 did have a plate that was attached in the center of the heel board, and to the right of the Brush Serial #. The only record I have found for a 1911, E model, was Serial #12494 and Selden # 286279. My Selden Plate # was 286394, but it was lost a few years ago so I need a replacement. The "F" model came out in July of '11, so I am not sure if someone added this plate later or if it was original.

Thanks for the info.

Guest WhatsaBrush?
Some 1911's did not have a Selden Patent Plate, with registration number, due to the settlement of a challenging lawsuit by Henry Ford. My mid year '11 did have a plate that was attached in the center of the heel board, and to the right of the Brush Serial #. The only record I have found for a 1911, E model, was Serial #12494 and Selden # 286279. My Selden Plate # was 286394, but it was lost a few years ago so I need a replacement. The "F" model came out in July of '11, so I am not sure if someone added this plate later or if it was original.

Thanks for the info.

So the Selden Plate just contains the registration #? Do they make replacement plates? Here's another question for you - any idea what the original color of the Brush's were when they left the factory?

Have not seen repro plates in years. The registration numbers were a block of maybe 1000 numbers issued by Selden to their member manufacturers.

The reprint or the "E" series Preliminary Announcement shows the following colors; Models E, E24 and E28 were dark green except wheels which were light grey. Model E26 is finished in solid royal blue. The "coupe" is black with royal blue panels.

Guest WhatsaBrush?
Have not seen repro plates in years. The registration numbers were a block of maybe 1000 numbers issued by Selden to their member manufacturers.

The reprint or the "E" series Preliminary Announcement shows the following colors; Models E, E24 and E28 were dark green except wheels which were light grey. Model E26 is finished in solid royal blue. The "coupe" is black with royal blue panels.

Great, thanks for the info!

The Selden plate was discontinued in 1911. If you don't have one, that is period correct depending on when the auto was made and whether or not Brush attached the last supply of plates that they received from Selden. I would not spend $800.00 for a plate that did not match the auto or the period. Good luck.

Guest WhatsaBrush?
The Selden plate was discontinued in 1911. If you don't have one, that is period correct depending on when the auto was made and whether or not Brush attached the last supply of plates that they received from Selden. I would not spend $800.00 for a plate that did not match the auto or the period. Good luck.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to worry about it since I don't recall it having one. Thanks!