Harrison 3123756 - '50 - '52 Radiator (40-50 series)

Eric W

• 4 months later...

Still looking - anyone have a busted-up, not-worth-reworking core that I can use as a pattern? Plan is to have something made that fits.

I've ID'd, called & emailed on about a DOZEN parts cars. People either don't want to ship, don't respond, want to sell the parts car whole, etc.

• 3 weeks later...

John didn't have exactly this one. Still looking... I've been exchanging emails with one company who has made a couple different configurations of early 50's Buick radiators. They told me they have done 3 of the 4, and of course, I'm looking for the one they haven't done. They sent me their dimensioned print for what looked like the closest, and what they have will not fit the 40-series car. The tank thickness on the bottom tank looks like a problem, and as shown, their overall radiator sits too low in the mounting frame (or maybe what they've done is taller overall). Height isn't too much problem because the holes in the side brackets can be relocated (or just make it with undrilled side brackets and I'll drill as needed). Thickness at the lower tank is the big problem because that's structure they can't change.

Looks like they're using a standard 3" extrusion for the top & bottom core tube "caps", but from what I can tell, the bottom will need to be 2". So though these guys are close, they won't have a product for me unless/until they go to a 2" - at least for the bottom tank.

Anyone have a junked/trashed not-worth-repairing 3123756 that I could use just to measure? I saw 2 of these at DVAP in Casa Grande - I might just go back there. I need a couple of rims anyway. (And a "Brake" release knob for the '55)

Thanks Pete - here are some that could help:

Trying to figure out how to measure (or back out) the height from the bottom radiator-to-frame bolt points to the bottom of the bottom tank.

The radiator shop was showing 5" here, but I think that puts the radiator too low.

Also thickness of the core (I know it's nominal 2", but is that 2 1/4, 2 3/8, or right on 2"), thickness of the bottom tank, distance fan to core.

Also distance from bottom of bottom tank to top of core, and top of core to highest point in curved top of top tank.

• 3 weeks later...

Bottom of bottom tank to highest point on the radiator (mouth where cap goes on) is 28". Width of core: 18". Thickness of core: 2-1/4"

Bottom of bottom tank to top of radiator core (excluding top tank): 24.5 inches

Bottom of bottom tank to lowest attaching bolt hole: 5 inches.

Bottom of top tank to highest point in curved top of tank: 2-7/8 inches

Sorry it took so long--I have too many irons in the fire.

Thanks Pete! Not a problem at all. With the '51 and the '55, I've been off on other things as well. I'll print out these dim's and see how that fits in with the dimensions I've gathered elsewhere, then give a call to a custom radiator shop I found near Chicago. If they can get this made, we may end up with a truly "drop in" new, aluminum radiator for the '50-'52 40-series with dynaflow. As the first or 2nd highest production model over those 3 years, there's got to be at least a few of us who either need exactly this, or would prefer it to re-coring an old one. This Chicago operation uses a die to form the top tank so that it's got the rounded top and ribs, rather than just slab-sides welded-up like so many new-production radiators. Nothing's for sure yet, but their other radiators are in the $250-300 range. That right there beats pretty much every re-core story I've heard.